PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 05-11-2015, 08:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 364.40 MB
Smile Paper size

Hello all,

It's been a while since i posted something here, but I'm started on the Apollo Saturn 5 project again.
The biggest problem i do face is the limitation of the paper size, both A4 and Letter.
Since i only have a A4 printer i was looking for a workaround to this limitation.
I found out (probably a lot of you people out there found the same solution ) that my printer, a Cannon MG5350 allows the setting of a longer paper size as long it is not wider then A4.
So i took a part of the Saturn 5 Main body and made a drawing of 210 mm high and 680 mm wide and printed that.
The result is shown in the PDF attachment.
Does anyone else did experiment with those printer settings in this way ?
I'm looking forward to your suggestions and comments.

Greelt
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TEST.pdf (35.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 05-11-2015, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I have a printer that will print a maximum length of 26.6 inches/675mm and a maximum width of 8.5 inches/216mm. I had a picture of a company in the
45th Infantry Division taken in 1942 with four of my uncles in it that is 33 inches/838mm X 8 inches/203mm and wanted to donate it to a 45th Infantry Division museum display in Atoka, Oklahoma but also wanted to retain a copy so I scanned the picture in multiple passes and stitched it together then saved it at the original dimensions. I then loaded cardstock cut to the maximum length and width the printer could handle and then printed out a few copies for myself and other family member who wanted a copy. The printer diaglogue was set to fit so the original dimensions were reduced and the aspect ratio retained. Worked out very good.

Your method of printing very long model pieces is a good way to get long sections without having to cut them up into many different pieces. I have looked at some of the maximum lengths and widths permitted for some wide format printers. One, an Epson 7620, had a maximum width of 13 inches/330mm and length of 47 inches/1194mm. You could print some very large upscaled parts with that.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Glad to see you're back at it!

Isaac Asimov
Old 05-28-2015, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.68 MB
Some years back I was interested in trying to print out patterns for a kite based on the DeHavilland racer. The driver for the printer I had then, an Epson 785epx, didn't seem to disallow any particular length. Since I had a box of old dot matrix continuous letter sheets (the kind you attach to sprocket printers) I figured I would try out a test feed, after tearing out the sprocket tracks of course. The kite idea didn't quite work out, but the patterns did print out. Unfortunately I have to report that printer kept complaining of jammed sheets after that. That printer was always ridiculously finicky so I can't say specifically that the problem stemmed from that. I can say that at least for one session it managed to print out several patterns that were close to a meter long (3 letter sized sheets).