PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 02-23-2016, 05:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.68 MB
Method for dogtooth or sawtooth tabs (Blender)

Working on a project and hit upon a method for making dogtooth or sawtooth tabs which are typical of joining cylindrical or cone sections to other parts. In this case I was using Blender to create an inner tab for a cylindrical part's endcap. The endcap tab is just a section of the original shape scaled slightly smaller. To join the cap I need a section of dogteeth to meet the other side so I did the following:
fig1: Selected the loop of segments at the top of the cylinder.
fig2: Rotated the loop by 5deg, this is because it was a 36 segment cylinder (I like using 24 and 36 as it allows easy manipulation by 1/4 or 1/3 arcs, and 1/36 has the nice aspect of being 10deg arcs)
The lower fig 2 is slightly turned so you can see it clearly. The 5 deg turn puts the point approx half way over the lower segment (slightly outboard, but negligible)
fig3: The affected faces are selected and turned from Quads to Triangles (Blender Cntrl-T)
fig4: The top loop is selected again and the edges are removed leaving only the sawtooth.
fig5: Unfolded part
I know the Blender Paper Model script will put in tabs, but sometimes I want something more specialized and the generic tabs generated by the script don't always fit the assembled part.
Attached Thumbnails
Method for dogtooth or sawtooth tabs (Blender)-dogteeth1.png   Method for dogtooth or sawtooth tabs (Blender)-dogteeth2.png   Method for dogtooth or sawtooth tabs (Blender)-dogteeth3.png   Method for dogtooth or sawtooth tabs (Blender)-dogteeth4.png   Method for dogtooth or sawtooth tabs (Blender)-dogteeth5.png  

Google Adsense
Old 02-24-2016, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A most interesting tutorial!

Don
Old 05-03-2016, 03:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for sharing!!!

Tags
tabs, blender, selected, slightly, sawtooth, loop, endcap, section, method, turned, part, script, lower, arcs, cylinder, tab, segment, top, cylindrical, dogtooth, parts, fig3, negligible, affected, quads