PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 12-26-2016, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaBlue View Post
And, yes the cutters can print, or emboss or score... lots of things other than cut. They print with pens, after all, they are just a plotter with a knife.
These are plotters, not printers.

The can draw with pens, but they do not print.

They can do lines, but not areas. For example, there is no way to do a solid fill. That would require multiple passes of the pen, with a path defined for each pass of the pen.

Grayscale, gradients, shadows, etc... Nope, can't do those either.

A basic inkjet printer, on the other hand...
Old 12-26-2016, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
an even simpler use can I design railings radar dishes detail parts that you normally would buy as photo etched parts and have the machine cut them out of card stock. I believe marco has done this for his 1/400 models and is very happy. but the devils in the details, how would you go about doing this?
Old 12-26-2016, 06:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
The way I do it is to design in Corel, convert it to an eps file and the export that to the cutter software. Then just set up the cutter and let it go. Basically you need it in a vector file, raster wont work.

Beard
Old 12-26-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
The way I do it is to design in Corel, convert it to an eps file and the export that to the cutter software. Then just set up the cutter and let it go. Basically you need it in a vector file, raster wont work.

Beard
I haven't used the Silhouette Studio software for awhile, but when I did use it I had to export the file as a .dxf and then open it in Silhouette Studio.

Note: This was with the basic version that came with the cutter and used to be available as a download from the website. Checking tonight, it looks like the only version of the software that can import .eps files is the Business Edition.

CorelDraw is able to open/save dxf files.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:18 PM

The only reason I used eps is because it is a standard in the sign business. When you order custom letters and things like that they will all take an eps file. Corel will export in a ton of formats, I export in ai format local printers, jpgs on sketches, tif if I need a more accurate raster type format. All you really need to do is check and see what the software needs.

With more expense the software more formats are usually accepted.

Beard
Google Adsense
Old 12-26-2016, 08:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 283.81 MB
Mine prints and writes in script too. I haven't taught it to type yet though.

The advantage of simplifying origami are twofold.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
The only reason I used eps is because it is a standard in the sign business. When you order custom letters and things like that they will all take an eps file. Corel will export in a ton of formats, I export in ai format local printers, jpgs on sketches, tif if I need a more accurate raster type format. All you really need to do is check and see what the software needs.

With more expense the software more formats are usually accepted.

Beard
So are you using Silhouette Studio Business Edition?

Any other features that might make it worthwhile?
Old 12-26-2016, 10:19 PM

Not at all, I'm using some off-brand commercial sign cutter/plotter which will take up to 48" wide material. My sister has a Silhouette Cutter which I have looked over but never used, it is way to small for my purposes.

I'm a sign painter, I do not use my cutter/plotter to cut vinyl, I only use it to make paper patterns, charcoal on paper (something it is not designed to do), I have just adapted it to my needs.

From looking at my sister's Silhouette cutter it seems to be better suited to making card models than a large commercial one like I use, but then again that is more what it is made for. I would have to look over the software to see if I like it, but I imagine it is more designed for working with smaller stock. The big thing is, can you scan an image and have the software accurately reproduce it to a vector drawing that is usable it making a card model. I am sure that it will import vector drawings for cutting and scoring, though redrawing a raster drawing to vector is time consuming.

Beard
Old 12-27-2016, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 967.02 MB
i have been using mine for a couple of years now. if the model is in pdf format i usually convert it to PNG format using pdfill tools. if i have a printed kit i scan the model using as high a resolution as possible to a usable digital format. using the Silhouette Studio software i import the the picture file and scale it to my needs. then i use the line tools to trace the outline of the parts. i set the scale the same for all the pages of the model. and when all the cut lines are done i print it with the registry marks and cut it out with the cutter. i have the cameo so it can handle up 13x19 card stock. i usually run letter or 11x17 on it.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 32.15 MB
Wonderful machine!
I always use it for prototypes and final models, too. The cut is precise and the blade duration is incredibly long.
It allows to cut parts without printing their borders, increasing the quality of the work. With the dotted cut line, you produce folding lines very precise and sharp.
Buy it!
Google Adsense