PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 03-09-2017, 04:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 79.89 MB
If you are looking for a machine that will scan a sheet of parts and then cut them out, check out the "Brother ScanNCut craft cutter" thread in the "Hardware" section of the forum.

I just bought the CM250 model ($189 at walmart.com). I've only had it 2 days so I'm still getting acquainted with it. It is pretty simple to use. It sometimes will not "see" a part or two in a sheet. I also once forgot to reset the blade depth when I laminated two sheets together, so it didn't cut all the way through, but aside from that, it has worked great.
Randy
Old 03-28-2019, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 121.73 MB
I have seen a few post's here that are incorrect. The Cameo will cut out something already printed on cardstock. You have to print the registration marks on it first, then your images, then run it through the cutter and let it scan the page. The scanner eye is in the cutter head. I didn't know that until just recently. then the Cameo will cut your images out. You can set it up to cut right on the line or setup a "offset" the will cut out the image on a bias.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
I have a Portrait (the small Silhouette). I use it a lot when I have a) lots of the same shapes and b) round shapes (like wheels). I would want to use it more for very small cuttings but it has a limit there.

But most of my cutting I do by hand as setting the cutter up, cutting and then storing away again takes me a while and my manual cutting is usually at least as precise and faster. So for me it only makes sense when I get a lot cut in one go. As a model developer this doesn't happen that much. Usually I design a bit, cut a bit, test and repeat.

Also when I have been cutting too much manually and I get problems in the shoulder it's a good alternative to relax the arm.

Chris
Old 03-28-2019, 07:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
Thumbs up

I really like my Silhouette Cameo. I bought a PixScan mat with it, which you can put your already printed images in and use it for registration and cutting. I also sprung the $40 for the "designer edition" of their software. I do quite a bit with inkscape and with the upgrade you can import from svg and gain access to layers.

I made a pen holder from a used blade cartridge wich works quite nicely with a stylus for scoring lines.
Semantics aside, you can actually plot filled shapes with markers. I think that may even be a really neat look to experiment with, kind of a water color marker fill over permanent marker lines. Contrary to a previous post, vector fills are actually fairly common and easy to achieve. Not to mention different dot patterns and cross hatching for shading. Google KM laser plug in for Inkscape. That has some nice crosshatch fills.
Oh well, that's my experience with it.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCory View Post
I made a pen holder from a used blade cartridge wich works quite nicely with a stylus for scoring lines.

Here's a picture of it
Attached Thumbnails
Cameo Cutter-img_20190329_155129.jpg  
Old 04-05-2019, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 967.02 MB
Corey,

what settings do you use to make the scorelines with your stylus. i can never get the thing to push hard enough to groove the paper.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf111 View Post
Corey,

what settings do you use to make the scorelines with your stylus. i can never get the thing to push hard enough to groove the paper.

I use the chipboard settings, and sometimes if it doesn't make a good enough indention, I'll just run it through again with the highest pressure and a slower speed. Always use 2 times on each anyway.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 967.02 MB
i will give it a try soon. thanks for the reply.