PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 03-10-2017, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I've had a Fiskar's microtip for about 9 years - still going strong except the plastic clip that holds the scissors closed broke a while ago. They are still really sharp. I've never used them for heavy stock just card only.

Bought another pair in a sale but they aren't as nice as the original for some reason.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 03-11-2017, 12:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
No, he didn't say they were exactly the same.
What he said was that they were remarkably similar and very competent in dealing with paper cutting in the way we need them to be.
And they do it at a mere fraction of the Fiscars cost

"Where did he find them?" he hears you ask.
Incredibly enough in Bunnings - and even more incredibly - in their Garden Section.

PS He only shops at B because they have a near monopoly in this neck of the woods.
Attached Thumbnails
Use report: Fiskars Micro Tip Scissors-scissors.jpg  
Old 03-12-2017, 04:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
I went to AC Moore this morning to look for another type of Fiskars and found this mini pair of another brand. They appeared perfect for cutting out small details; especially since they are spring loaded. As it turns out, they are terrible for fine details! The points are not sharp; they are squared off, which I found out after using them. When you cut something with the tips, it actually bends the the paper next to the cut with a permanent indentation, thus ruining the piece you are trying to cut out! When you look at them with the naked eye, you don't notice the square tips, because they are so tiny. I thought this would be a good place to warn everyone to stay away from this item for any tip work. They don't even cut 110 # paper card as nicely as my curved manicure scissors. Anyway the scissors on the card are the ones that are involved here. I added the Fiskars to give the relative size of the item. Needless to say, I'm taking them back next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Use report: Fiskars Micro Tip Scissors-20170312_172758.jpg