PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Using tapered needle file on small cylinders

I rediscovered interesting tip tonight that I hadn't fully appreciated before. Among my hobby files is a steel needle file which tapers from 3mm down to 1mm. It's come in handy in a number of interesting ways. For one the serations grip the back side of the paper when rolling curves and cylinders. Next - and most useful - when forming a cylinder to its final diameter, you can ease up and back down by twisting the file before glueing in place. Then a quick twist and your able to back the part off.

I don't know if the pictures do the description justice. But if you've struggled with tiny cylinders and especially getting them to be just the right diameter, you might give this a shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Using tapered needle file on small cylinders-img_3453.jpg   Using tapered needle file on small cylinders-image.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-21-2017, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Great idea.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
It's one of my favorite tools. Unfortunately TSA doesn't let me carry one while on the road. I like it a lot because the teeth grabs the paper better than a smooth implement.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
It's one of my favorite tools. Unfortunately TSA doesn't let me carry one while on the road. I like it a lot because the teeth grabs the paper better than a smooth implement.
You must be going to the wrong airport!

Yesterday they all failed to show up in NY!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:33 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Is there such a set of all round in different diameters? I went looking and found several but in with the lot were flat files. I like the idea of creating cylinders and tubes. I never thought of this one. Great idea. I always like more options. Thank you Sreimann. wc
Google Adsense
Old 02-22-2017, 10:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Mine came in a set, with mostly flat files. No need for different diameters since it tapers to a fine point. I picked up mine in a hobby store. I got a set from Harbor Freight too, but it's not as well made. Courser teeth.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
A quick search of Amazon does show a few offerings of graduated sizes up to 1/8th". But what I found are diamond coated. I don't think that would quite work as well for this purpose.

In
the same way, there are "ring" sizing tools in jewelry supply. but those have a pretty narrow width and I haven't had much success with those.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
You could get something called a ring mandrel or step mandrel and rough up the surfaces with some sand paper to help grab the paper better.
They are usually made of metal with various diameters included on each one.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
I have a ring mandrel but it's way to big for my needs and I did see the one at Harbor Freight and thought about the coating ones I saw on other sets. I was worried also about it crabbing to well. You saved me some money on that one. I'll wait till I'm sure. I have a file for chain saws but it's too big. Thank you all for the kind update. wc
Old 02-23-2017, 01:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Widget Supply has a mandrel that goes from 1.5 mm to 5 mm and one that goes from 6 mm to 11 mm.

5-step mandrel 1.5mm - 5 mm

6-step mandrel 6 mm - 11 mm

I have a few sets of those needle files that include the round tapered ones. I also have some larger round files that are more like round profile rasps. They are used to rapidly remove wood from inside curves on wood pieces.
Google Adsense