PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 08-24-2017, 12:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.04 MB
Best way to spray paint card models

Hi all,

Could any one give me some good and basic advice/tips on what preparation and best way to approach the painting of card models please; having looked around the net and posed the question in many and varied ways, i have alas found, very few or usable accounts/techniques for achieving results and preparation work.

I hope some of you can give me some in depth advice and tips on how to get started and get a good finished model many thanks......

Best regards, Tom........
Google Adsense
Old 08-24-2017, 12:28 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Are you talking about painting a white model to a custom color?
painting over a pre printed kit, because the camo is wrong?

Are you looking to coat the finished model with a protector?

this will help those who paint models to help you out more
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-24-2017, 03:44 PM

Hi mate, what i wan`t to do is spray the whole model to what ever color i require, so, the model will be printed in either white with just construction lines, or, pre col loured, so i guess, i will be hopefully, spraying over both pre or non colored models, hope this is more accurate in definition of what i wish to achieve/ final goal as such..........

Grateful thanks and regards.......Tom....
Old 08-24-2017, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
If the model is already built, looks like you are looking to do something similar as in other kinds of modelling. In that case for precision and quality, try airbrushing with acrylic paints. Usually paper needs no primer base. You can also use rattle cans.

If the model is already built, and is already pre-coloured, airbrushing may be the best option for adding details.

If the kit is printed (but unbuilt) it may be more difficult. That's another matter.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
i paint all my models with vallejo acrylic paints. 'model color' for brush painting and 'model air' for airbrush. i think the key is to seal your card stock. i use water thin ca, which not only seals the card/paper but hardens it. this makes it easy to sand, grind etc for scratch-building. there are several threads on this forum about different types of sealers besides ca. you should also check out enrico's threads and his website for tips on scratch-building with paper.
Google Adsense
Old 08-26-2017, 10:32 AM

Thanks to all for your help, i`ll away now and digest what you have given me, many thanks and best regards to all........

Tom..........
Old 08-27-2017, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
If you print on white card with black fold and cut lines, then I recommend you spray a gray or dark color coat of primer on it first, then a coat of flat white, then the finishing coats of color. The print and fold lines tend to show through if you try to paint the colors straight on the printed card or paper.
I no longer print black for the line color, I use a light gray so it is less obtrusive. Sometimes I can go straight to the flat white as a primer this way.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:05 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
Hang it on a string, spin it around whilst you lightly dust it over a few days with a good flat rattle can. Then when completely dry, same thing with clear coat. You might detail with a thin brush as dry as you can get it, and then clear coat.