PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
David, have you looked for compatible cartridges on Amazon? That's all I use and they're cheap. My best printer was an Epson, but I don't remember the model. It could take up to 13 X 19 paper. When it worked the prints were gorgeous, but it seemed like every time I wanted to use it I had to clean the heads two or more times like Don said. I am also thinking of getting another large format printer. Right now I'm using a Canon MG5300 which is a good printer, but it only handles up to 8.5 inch wide paper.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARX2 View Post
David, have you looked for compatible cartridges on Amazon? That's all I use and they're cheap. My best printer was an Epson, but I don't remember the model. It could take up to 13 X 19 paper. When it worked the prints were gorgeous, but it seemed like every time I wanted to use it I had to clean the heads two or more times like Don said. I am also thinking of getting another large format printer. Right now I'm using a Canon MG5300 which is a good printer, but it only handles up to 8.5 inch wide paper.
Amazon carries the cartridge, but shipping to Kuwait would cost several times the price of the actual cartridge. It would not be a sustainable practice over the long-term.

The printer uses four cartridges -- black, cyan, magenta and yellow -- and when one runs out, the machine simply refuses to print in any color until you replace the lone empty cartridge. The black cartridge always emptied long before the others. I've been looking online, and the black cartridge (and the others) may be refillable, but that creates a secondary problem: resetting the cartridge's electronic chip.

It is the chip that tells the printer that the cartridge is empty. (Apparently, Epson cartridge chips are notorious for telling the machine they are empty when, in fact, they are not.) There is a device you can buy that resets the chip; whether it is available in Kuwait is beyond me.

The simpler -- and, probably, cheaper -- course is to just get a new printer whose cartridges are more readily available in Kuwait.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:24 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Look at the Eco tank printers from Epson, built in CISS, LARGE capacity ink tanks, just wish it would come in a large format carriage(13x19)
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-25-2017, 12:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Epson does have an Ecotank wide format printer but it costs a bunch.
Epson-WorkForce-ET-16500-EcoTank-Wide-format-All-in-One-Supertank-Printer
$899.99 USD

I have an Epson WF-7610 wide format with refillable cartridges. The problem would be the availability of local or mail/online order supplies to Kuwait. Your idea of looking around to see what is available in your area is a good idea.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 211.54 MB
Usually, Canon, Epson and Brother use plain ink tanks without a print head attached. This way, ink cartridges can be much cheaper, and the recycling-refilling is also easier and cheaper.

With HP you are out of luck. Official HP cartridges give you a new print head for every replacement, but that becomes veeery expensive. Refilled cartridges, on the other hand, provide used, worn print heads.

This is why I absolutely avoid HPs. Anyway, the driver settings are much better with other brands, exposing all possible configurations. My Brother has decent setups, with several quality parameters and maintenance options you can adjust.

However, for any inkjet printer, you'd better use it, like John said. Ink dries in the print heads if the printer stays idle for a long time. I left my Brother unused for 2 months and now I had to perform several black ink cleaning cycles to get all nozzles clean. Yep, some waste of ink, but fortunately the aftermarket recycled cartridges are cheap.

Regards
J
Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2017, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Quote:
I intend to buy a Brother DCP-J4120DW.
I think that the Brother is a good choice. The problem with Epson and the others with separate ink tanks is that once a printhead starts to malfunction due to clogged nozzles you don't have direct access to the nozzle. As Don B. discovered, then you have to run many cleaning cycles to get acceptable printing again.

It's taken me about 15 year to learn this lesson, but after losing our Epson WF-7610 to poor quality printing, I'm ready for a change.

Curt
Old 09-25-2017, 04:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Well, I second the opinion of rickstef on Epson ecotank, although I do not have a wide format version. But the regular size that I have is dependable, wifi equipped, scans, etc., but above all, gets about 4000 pages from $13 US in ink! The color refills (4) are the same each. Epson says expect 5 - 6000 pages in color printing. Of course it depends on coverage. I have some great color prints on glossy paper that will compare with any others. So, perhaps shipping one set of bottles of ink, (the printer comes with "a years supply") not so frequently would offset the costs. I have cleaned the heads once to get rid of a streak in the black, but did not worry about using a lot of ink. My two cents worth. Jim
Old 09-25-2017, 06:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
The simpler -- and, probably, cheaper -- course is to just get a new printer whose cartridges are more readily available in Kuwait.
Just follow your solution - check what HP cartridges are the easiest to buy in your area and then see what printer uses them. Once you have that, ask about this printer here or look for reviews online.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:46 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
Does running the head-cleaning function before printing jobs help?
With my Brother is runs an auto clean when it determines it is need. Occasionally I do a cleaning myself. Usually after installing a new cartridge.

My Drawings
Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
My Brother (printer) also runs auto-cleaning...usually about 4am, twice a week! LOL
I learned not to leave paper in the tray!!

But, I do like my brother printer.
Its a MFC J415W.
Cost me about $50 at Staples.
It only does regular size sheets (Letter, A4, etc).
The scanner is good...so good that I put away my flatbed scanner.
Its about 3...4...5? years old now? and still working fine.
I buy Ink Cartridges on eBay from two sources.
Aftermarket ink...costs me $20 for a 20 pack of ink cartridges.
(4 colours, 5 of each colour)
I get a ton of copies out of each cartridge, they seem to last forever, and I do a lot of wasteful printing.
And the colour and quality is top notch.
Not perfect...by any means...but very good.
I have had no real issues other than some thicker papers won't feed and will jam.
Google Adsense