PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 09-24-2017, 12:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Printer recommendations?

I'm planning on getting a new printer in a couple of weeks. I actually haven't had a printer for several months; the Epson printer we have uses a series of cartridges that have become very hard, if not impossible, to get here in Kuwait. (We bought the printer here, and a Kuwait store's concept of "customer service" is to sell you the printer and then stop carrying the cartridges for it.)

I am, therefore, seeking recommendations from you guys and gals on printers that do a good job for modeling. Ideally, the printer should:

-- Use cartridges I can get here (HP printers are big here) and/or refill easily;
-- Have wifi capability;
-- Scans and photocopies;
-- Prints black well;
-- Is affordable, both in initial cost and everyday use.

Conversely, if there are any printers you think I should stay away from, I'd appreciate knowing about those, too.

What works well for you folks?

Thanks,
David
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.35 MB
Hello dhanners,
I have a brother dcp j140w.For me is verry good.Ink is not problem to do find in Poland and verry cheap.I don't know how is on your country.
This have all function you need.
I use this printer since 5 years without problems.
Greetings Slaw
Old 09-24-2017, 03:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 211.54 MB
Hi

I had two Canon printers. These worked very well, with very high quality prints. Now I'm using a Brother printer, it'salso good enough. I avoid extra-cheap entry-range models, these usually are crap.
Separate ink cartridges are a must, otherwise you'll waste lots of money. Most HP printers use 3-in-1 CMY color cartridges... Be careful.

Regards
Joćo
Old 09-24-2017, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
David,

My adult kids got me an HP Envy 5540 almost two years ago, and it's worked flawlessly. Cartridges are easy to get, and the XLs last a decent amount of time.

Les (The Voice of Authority)
Old 09-24-2017, 04:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
There is another factor to be considered: quality of the printing.

I have had two Epson printers (currently an XP-640) that have been excellent in all respects except that they frequently cause gray streaks across the image. This is a terrible disadvantage for a paper modeler. If I run the print cleaning cycle ten or 12 times and realign the print heads, I can get clean copies, but the streak soon recurs, and this process eats up expensive ink).

I hope that Forum members responding to David will also comment on this aspect of their recommended printers.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
You already know what I like.... :-)

The BIG thing is getting something that you can get ink for.........and remember this.......the worst thing you can do for a printer is NOT use it. The longer they sit idle the worse the print quality will be because the ink will dry up in the head/nozzles.

My Drawings
Old 09-25-2017, 01:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
You already know what I like.... :-)

The BIG thing is getting something that you can get ink for.........and remember this.......the worst thing you can do for a printer is NOT use it. The longer they sit idle the worse the print quality will be because the ink will dry up in the head/nozzles.
Indeed, and you've been very helpful. When I go shopping, I'll be checking out the Brothers.

Does running the head-cleaning function before printing jobs help?

And yeah, Don, I had plenty of pages with gray streaks. It was a big frustration.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Based on the information you provided I guess you'd best go with an H, though a Canon would be my choice above HP, and Epson my first choice always.

Spend the money to get a good printer no matter what brand you buy. Sub $100 or sub $200 printers will give you just what you pay for. Consider how complicated the mechanical aspect of printing a pare are, now add on reliable wi-fi and any other bells and whistles. If you pay too little that means major corners were cut somewhere.

Lastly, make sure it can print a 13" x 19" sheet of paper. You will love his capability.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.28 MB
I intend to buy a Brother DCP-J4120DW.
It seems that Brother works well with non-official ink cartridges and they are very cheap.
I like this particular printer because it is able to print A3 (only in manual mode) and it costs 109,50 € now. I'll wait until Black Friday, though.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
EPSON XP-820 does great job with photo glossy and matte paper
Google Adsense