PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 10-26-2017, 03:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 GB
A-1 Skyraider / Fly Model / Fuselage problem

Hi all,

I started building a A-1 Skyraider (Fly Model) months ago. I already have spent plenty of time on this model : all parts cut and sorted, cockpit and engine cowling completed. Now I am facing a problem with the planking of the fuselage (Parts 16L and P / See attached images). There are no instructions on how the parts 16L and P join up on the “backbone” of the fuselage skelton. I have tried many ways, none works (ugly seal, warp planking). You can see that on 16 L and P there is a white area that must be notched and binded I guess … but for what purpose in the next step ? Glued together? Glued on the backbone ? ? . I am not a newcomer in the paper model business. I never gave up and stopped building a model I had started but this time I am about to give up. Only the time I have already spent on this model prevents me to do so.
My question : has anybody here built this model? If so, how did you tackled this problem?
I need only comments from people who built this model actually. No speculations like “you should try this or that” since I already have spent to much time exploring worthless paths.

Many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
A-1 Skyraider / Fly Model / Fuselage problem-1-instruction-drawing-fuselage.jpg   A-1 Skyraider / Fly Model / Fuselage problem-1-fuselage.jpg  
Old 10-26-2017, 05:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
The white curved notched area on top of 16L and P are instruction for you to notch and round the edges on the top of those colored parts. These form the transition area to the vertical fin. once they are rounded,you will butt glue the 16 L and P on top and then it will go on to the framing.

The trick is to do a clean job.

Isaac
Old 10-26-2017, 08:39 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
The white curved notched area on top of 16L and P are instruction for you to notch and round the edges on the top of those colored parts. These form the transition area to the vertical fin. once they are rounded,you will butt glue the 16 L and P on top and then it will go on to the framing.

The trick is to do a clean job.

Isaac
Thank you Isaac for your prompt response. It sounds to be the good way. I did not try it, thinking the white area must be notched and scored but not cut off and glued under the edge of parts 16. I am with you, I anticipate that the trick is to do a clean job !
Keep you posted on the result.
Take care
Old 10-26-2017, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.26 GB
Watch out for the national insignia on the body side. To me they seem to be upside down. A fix could be to cut the blue circle then rotate the insignia. It might want a backing plate added inside body side.
Am I looking at this wrong?

Bob Neill
Old 10-26-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob neill View Post
Watch out for the national insignia on the body side. To me they seem to be upside down. A fix could be to cut the blue circle then rotate the insignia. It might want a backing plate added inside body side.
Am I looking at this wrong?

Bob Neill
You are correct ! both are wrong . They really screwed up .

You may want to make your own national insignia .

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 10-26-2017, 09:43 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
I believe that national insignia is for SVN at the time of the war
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 10-26-2017, 11:08 AM

Thank you all. I had noticed this mistake and have picked up the right insignia somewhere in the net. Will replace the wrong one when I am able to build an acceptable fuselage.
Again, many thanks to all of you for your interest about this project.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:12 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
That Skyraider kit was one of the first paper scale models I built. It sat on my shelf for years and I never noticed the upside-down insignia. Hm.
Attached Thumbnails
A-1 Skyraider / Fly Model / Fuselage problem-vnaf_ad6x.jpg  
Old 10-31-2017, 08:41 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrison View Post
That Skyraider kit was one of the first paper scale models I built. It sat on my shelf for years and I never noticed the upside-down insignia. Hm.
I can't help but smile that you did not notice the upside down insignia. Oh well... One of my first model was a Monogram clear plastic P-51 Mustang. I applied the fuselage star upside down on one side and it took me a week or so to realize the screw up. I scraped it off. I was around 10 years old at the time.

This is not the first time that the Polish designers screwed up. They got German markings wrong on one of my builds, and now on a brand new WAK kit design of a Mirage 3 Israeli, they screwed up with upside down stencils. Other times, the colors are all wrong as well.

Really, we must pay closer attention to these screw up and point it during our builds and posting and if possible, get back to the designer to inform them of these errors.

Isaac