PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 02-07-2017, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Hhrrmmmph! Railings!

What's the smallest practical strip you can cut from card stock? I'm designing the railings for the skipjack. To keep things reasonably in scale, the top rail of the railings measures about 0.7mm in height. And then of course there are stanchions holding the railings up.

Is it practical to design such fine pieces? Even if the card was strengthened with CA glue I have my doubts that I could produce these. Then again I think few people have mastered the art of creating railings from thread... especially since these railings have two horizontal railings and the bottom railing has twice as many stanchions as the top.

Not quite sure where to go from here. Hmmm....

--jeff
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2017, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugelfang View Post
What's the smallest practical strip you can cut from card stock?
Take a look at one of Michael Mash's ship threads. He has even used cut paper for rigging. Most of his build threads show how he makes railings and stairs.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
what scale? draf model has ship railings in card as does jsc. you may have to approximate if the stancion count is different from top to bottom
Old 02-07-2017, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.47 MB
railings

i've had a lot of luck making railings (at 1/200) from bamboo, cut thin and shaped in a draw plate.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Here is a photo of a thin strip cut from some 110lb/199gsm card stock.
The markings are 0.5 mm apart. The strip fits between two of the markings.

It was cut using a Fiskars Rotary Paper Trimmer. The one used was bought many years ago. The blade is getting kind of dull so with a new, sharp blade the cut could probably be made even narrower.

The cut was made by placing the card stock on the bed of the cutter with the edge just barely past the cut marks on the rubber strip (Fiskars calls it a Cutting Bar) that is used to protect the blade and as a backer for the stock being cut. The blade carrier was then put down and the card stock adjusted to get close to the desired width for the strip and the blade run along to make the cut. Your resulsts may vary.
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2017, 12:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.47 MB
railings

i've had a lot of luck making railings (at 1/200) from bamboo, cut thin and shaped in a draw plate.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Life is too short for this sort of problem. HMV has excellent standard railings, for merchant navy as well as navy, 1/250. See their site, or my own: zeistbouwplaten.nl, page shipping.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
@Lighter, Thanks! I found this (Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale). Linking to it here so I can find it again. This is a technique I may be able to manage.

@kentyler, bamboo may work for me. I'll have to look into this a little more closely. Where did you obtain the bamboo?

@SCEtoAUX, hmmm... I can see cutting strips like this and then overlaying them as in Mr. Marsh's process using a printout as a pattern. That might be the easiest way of all.

@CMDRTED, good suggestion. Though eventually I'd like to put this model out as a kit so I don't really want to go with third party parts. Not that I object to someone else using them!

@Diderick, No Diderick, no! Life is too short not to be challenged and learn new ways of doing things. It's the problem solving and implementation that keeps me interested!

Thank you all!

--jeff
Old 02-07-2017, 08:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Jeff, I find that bamboo skewers are a good source for making thin bamboo strips. Cheap, and readily obtainable.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
"Life is too short not to be challenged and learn new ways of doing things. It's the problem solving and implementation that keeps me interested!"...will 2nd that.
Google Adsense