PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 09-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
Creating Water Effects and Explosions

Here's an interview with the guy who did the Type VII U Boat exploding under water. He shows how he does his water and explosion effects. Worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE52ygEfjYk
Google Adsense
Old 09-19-2018, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Wow. That's truly astonishing work. I was mesmerized by the lighting he did with the "submerged submarine launches torpedoes"- diorama. Wonderful stuff. Thanks for the link!
Old 09-19-2018, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 711.82 MB
That is amazing.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Thanks for sharing that, I've been in awe of that sub model since I first saw it , it's interesting to see how he did it even if he doesn't reveal all the tricks.

I was thinking about using that cotton/LED technique to simulate a missile launch with the Scud I'm building but after seeing some pics of the real thing during a launch I decided against it because to do it realistically, too much of the model would be hidden by smoke, not to mention the size of the thing.

I wonder if that gel water technique could be applied to paper models, and how they might react... It's definitely something I'm keen to experiment with in future projects.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 09-20-2018, 02:08 AM

I have built a diorama of an emerging sub and I did 2 waterline dioramas of a ship. That sure is doable in paper. Three different techniques:
  • For the submarine I used just half the ship, and made the base out of gypsum and finished it with a layer of clear acrylic paste. It dries rock hard and stays transparent. It gives the surface more depth than you can imagine beforehand. This was my first try wver with imitating water and although I liked the result at first, this was one of the first models that I dumped when I started to suffer from lack of shelf space. So it doesn't exist any more.
  • The waterline ship was made by taking a picture frame and lowering the base so that there was at least 5 mm of space up to the rim. I filled it with a layer silicone rubber, just to about 2mm from the rim. It smelled a bit line vinegar. When it had cured enough but still was a little wet, I put the boat in the silicone paste and let it dry there with the paste. After that, the top layer was made from clear acrylic paste. Wake, waves and all. It still looks good.
  • The last technique I used was for the Thunderchild diorama. Just a picture frame, the glass front plate was the sea's surface. The top side was given a layer of clear acrylic paste and the models were put into the wet stuff and dried along with it. I painted the base plate below the glass in different shades of blue and lowered it with a spacer between the glass and the base to give it a bit more depth.
I have never tried to do a fully submerged scene and I fear that such a diorama will have some problems with wet stuff and paper. But perhaps if you first coat the model with some waterproof stuff...
Old 09-20-2018, 02:31 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I have seen his work before, but the video is very interesting. I especially liked the boxing match!

-----------------

PK - some nice work there.

By acrylic paste do you mean Acrylic Gel Medium?

Incidentally, those of you have not seen PK's Thunderchild Diorama go and have a look..... It is worth admiring!

Thunderchild vs. the Tripods
Old 09-20-2018, 04:35 AM

Hi Kevin, indeed, that is what I meant. It's a kind of paste you can use to increase the volume of your paint. It also has a white version.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:58 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thank you!
Old 12-28-2018, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
I'd like to find out how he gets the submarines and the explosion effect materials to sit in the centre of the gel/resin 'water' without sinking to the bottom - is this done I wonder by pouring in the first lot, letting it dry and then gradually adding more around items placed on top of it?