PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 04-12-2023, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 161.38 MB
What do you use?

What do you use when you have a long tube. Sure, you can clamp the ends pretty easy, but what do you use to reach the middle parts?
Old 04-12-2023, 09:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
But what do you want to do? Paint it inside?
How long and how narrow the tube is?
Old 04-12-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viator View Post
But what do you want to do? Paint it inside?
How long and how narrow the tube is?
Let's say it's a rocket tube and you just want to glue the thing together.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB

For small to medium tubes that I can't really get my fingers in, I concentrate on getting the ends to grab and hold (sometimes clamping) while keeping an eye on the entire seam. Then when the ends are holding down I take my medium sized stylus (about 6 mm in diameter) and press and roll the middle portion of the seam.

This one didn't come out very pretty but I was trying to do it fast while also taking the pics.

The stylus was purchased from an individual on this forum who had a machinist friend make bunch of them. I think most people here just use various sizes of knitting needles for the same function.

Attached Thumbnails
What do you use?-img_4421.jpg   What do you use?-img_4422.jpg   What do you use?-img_4423.jpg   What do you use?-img_4424.jpg   What do you use?-img_4425.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 04-12-2023, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Primarily as a small-scale aircraft modeller I rarely have to tackle this problem. However if it did come up I will try to find a similar diameter object - rolling pin, packing tube, pen - and hold the pre-rolled tube against that. Potentially if I were confident of no damage to the surface I would involve masking tape. Also a liberal amount of white PVA is used to allow for positioning time.
Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2023, 05:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I cut long tubes into shorter sections. Usually I do separation in photoshop before printing because making square cut on actual part can be a challenge.

Then again even not so square cut comes together just fine if joint is not particularly visible. If you look up pictures of Mi-1 and Mi-2 I build not long abo,both helis have long and tapering tail booms and making them in sections was much simpler and safer way to go. You can barely see extra joints on pictures.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
For rolling tubes as well as getting them neatly glued along the seam, I use a knitting needle. I have a large collection, from thin ones with a cross section of say 3,5 mm to thick ones with more than 10 mm in thickness.
Make sure that they are metal, not plastic ones. The latter ones bend too easily. Other rods also are good to collect.

I roll a tube around the knitting needle, roll them up way smaller than the eventual diameter. I leave them rolled up for a while. Say an hour.
When I glue them, I attach the glue strip, let it dry for a moment, and then put glue on the other side. Get the two outer parts together, put a 10mm+ knitting needle in the tube, and use the surface of the knitting needle to press the seam along the tube until it's nice and tight. I sometimes even use a smaller knitting needle to rub over the seam to make it fit even better and tighter. The knitting needles are nice for shaping but also for having a sturdy object to press against.

Butelczynski's method is a good one too, if possible.
in addition to that, if I use photoshop in these builds, I also always make sure the seams are invisible. Sometimes there still is a long vertical seam over a rocket fuselage. I always try to hide the seams underneath the cable run / fuel plumbing fairings.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:53 AM

Very good tips here. The knitting needle or stylus is a great idea. My wife has to sleep today so I may raid her knitting basket
Old 04-13-2023, 12:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertNomad View Post
Very good tips here. The knitting needle or stylus is a great idea. My wife has to sleep today so I may raid her knitting basket
Get your own. Some might bend and I don't know if your wife likes that, although you can still use themm when bent.
I also like to saw/grind a couple of them off to half their length for use with smaller stuff. Remember to sand/file off the ragged edges to prevent cuts in your hand. On my site I have some tutorials and tips for paper model making. The first one shows a shortened knitting needle I use very often...
Old 04-13-2023, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
My Technique

I use a chair and table top for the base, a long wood dowel (square works best) to create a bridge. Rings of double sided tape placed about 4-6inches apart provide a good grip to hold the pre-rolled tube.

Then use a ink refill syringe or a Monoject412 to glue with.

Attached is a PDF showing a drawing from 2013 that shows this as one of the details.

Hope it helps.

I use this technique all the time for my rockets, instead of wood dowel-2" Diameter PVC pipe is used:
What do you use?-pict0133.jpg
What do you use?-pict0190.jpg

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2013-Technique-Tools.pdf (432.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by mbauer; 04-13-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Google Adsense