PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 12-10-2018, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
rivets and other bumps

At a craft supply store I found "Nuvo Chrystal Drops" by Tonic Studios.

This is a 1oz (or thereabouts) squeeze bottle of colored gel that can be applied to paper to make raised colored dots, bumps and other greebles.
I have been experimenting with it, the small drops make excellent rivets for medium to large scale WWI tanks, and with a stencil it might be possible to make tread plates, or raised tire treads.
I looked on internet and found Nuvo Embellishment Mousse, which seems to be more or less the same stuff but in a jar, rather than a squeeze bottle. The drops come in many colors including black, white, grey, and several shades of green.
https://www.tonic-studios.com/collec...tal-drops/nuvo
Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2018, 07:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Nice find. I like the stencil idea as I have been trying to find laser cut square rivets and this may just be the answer.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
I have seen videos posted by the ladies who do journaling and who make make decorated cards show stencils being used to apply curlicue and flower patterns to paper using Nuvo products.

There is no reason why this technique could not be applied to making raised repetitive details on tires, tank tracks, metal plates, etc.
They also make dots and patterns on a non stick surface with the Nuvo gels that they peel off and store for future application to paper or other surface they want to decorate.

If one was a paper purist, and did not want to use a plastic gel, it might be possible to make your own modeling gel by tossing paper strips and a few ounces of PVA glue into a blender. I have not tried this myself but it should work once you got the proportions right, and it could be kept in the squeeze bottle that the PVA glue came in.
I think there was a thread about this a long time ago on this forum. Maybe someone remembers it and can provide the URL.
The test rivets I made were glossy, but a dab of matte media blended them with the paper surface.