PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 03-30-2019, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverocket View Post
I bought on of the ET 2500 3 years ago the ink lasted 2 years. But after I refilled the tanks the waste ink counter shut the printer down. Now I have to take it to an approved Epson service center to be reset

These kind of things drive me crazy. I had a Canon printer which worked fine but also after about 2 years there was a message that the printer head is wrong. After googlin' I found that apparently the printer manufactures design the printers that they will stop after a certain time.

I was having an eye on the Epson eco-tanks but if they have the same problem I rather get a new cheap one every 2 years.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I like the idea of an integrated ink tanks. Since I use printers to print other stuff besides paper models I look for printers that have a rear paper feed and automatic two sided or duplex printing. Some of those printers lack those features.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I personally do not own a Canon or Epson printer, and as such, I know nothing about them.

But...I have a friend who does own a Mega Tank Canon
and he has passed along this info which may be of interest to you:

I have a Canon Pixma G1000 series refillable tank printer.
You cannot get the Premium Content kits with this printer, I tried.
I was told that, as the tanks are refillable, Canon cannot be assured that you have refilled them with their genuine inks,
which is what they are trying to sell, so they don't allow access!
Old 03-30-2019, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 102.80 MB
What is possibly that if your using a good quality printer it`s own inks will be light proof for 99 years,but compatibles are not and your will need to spray the model with UV filter spray or they will in a year or two start to lose thier color.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
As a long term user of the (much) cheaper inks, I do agree with Cutitout. Most OEM inks ARE far more durable and compatibles do tend to fade quite fast, BUT a coating of a clear sealer can improve this no end. So we tend to go for what our pockets prefer and accept the consequences. Needless to say, this is NOT what the printer manufacturers want. They openly admit that their biggest profits are made selling the ink, so (Much like the recording industry with their DRM attempts) they will continue to put out these protective roadblocks to force us to use their expensive (but admittedly better) inks.

Canon has quite effectively blocked their premium content downloads behind their "Image Garden" software which can only be installed if you have a printer installed that is on their access list. As we are seeing here, not all Canon printers are on this list. I checked the list and bought a cheap MG2450 purely to give me access to these models. It was a while ago now so I can't remember the "Special Offer" price I paid but it was less than £40.

The printer was plugged into my main PC via USB (It has no WiFi or Bluetooth options) and installed along with the "Garden" software. It allowed me to access to the Premium content on the Canon website, and IMHO the contents were way more than worth the cost of the printer.

However, having a large format photo quality printer already set up on my main PC, I don't have the space to leave this extra printer permanently attached as well, so I moved it onto a secondary PC in another room. Thinking that now I had the "Garden" software installed on the main PC that would give me access to download the premium content and I should be able to print to the big printer. No go Joe! The "Garden" software just doesn't work unless there is an "approved" printer plugged in and switched on. No matter, I'll just do the downloads and prints in the other room.

Sounds like a plan, eh? Well it started off OK. Select model ... Download (into Garden) ... Print to paper and repeat. Going great guns until printer runs out of ink after six one page models. Go online through the "Garden" to source new ink from Canon ... HOW MUCH? No way José! That's more than twice what I paid for the printer. So a quick Google brings up some more reasonably priced compatibles on eBay. So take five for a few days.

To be continued??... I do eventually overcome the restrictions but I very much doubt that Canon will want me to tell y'all. So Admin please stop me now if you'd rather not let me put this out there.

Last edited by JohnM; 03-31-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 03-31-2019, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
I have been using an Epson ET2550 for about three years now. After about 2 1/2 yrs, I decided I should refill the tanks, although they seemed to be only slightly less than half full. That was right, it took only about 1/2 of each color bottle (total cost of bottles $53) to top off the tanks. The printer was around $250, and I am sure I have saved more than that on cartridges. I am not a pro user, but feel the quality is great - at least for the girls I go with.

Jim
Old 04-01-2019, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 296.90 MB
WOW!! Thank you everyone for your responses.

I had some less than terrific experience with an Epson Printer a few years ago, so I switched to Canon. I liked the printer just fine, but I like to print the vintage models from Agence Eureka and unless I take the time to clear off all the background, they eat up the yellow ink like mad, and it was really costly. So I was printing models at FedEx or OfficeMax. Both are costly at 60 cents to $1 a page. At that price it is less expensive in some cases to buy a second copy of the model/book if it isn't a free one. At least at OfficeMax every print job didn't require being questioned about my nefarious intentions regarding the copyrighted files.

Basically that meant that I wasn't printing and building the things I wanted to because it was a hassle. Especially if I just want to make a quick small thing. Now that I am retired I really want to just be able to print when I want to.

When the previous printer died, it was just before Canon introduced the premium content and my daughter/housemate bought a cheap printer that isn't one of the approved ones, plus it is one of those with a black tank and one color tank with multiple colors - not good for more than occasional use.

Armed with all your experiences I am weighing the merits of a tank printer vs a cheaper printer that will give me access to the premium contents, and trying out the non OEM inks. My daughter needs to print more often now too so that factors into it as well. I am going to check to see if the Canon Tank printer I am looking at is on the approved list and then decide.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.28 MB
Try a small local printer. I am getting stuff on cardstock for 55 cents and heavy paper 50 cents
Old 04-02-2019, 07:40 AM

OK. Where was I? Oh yeah, the much cheaper compatible carts arrived and were fitted. As far as the printer software was concerned it still showed them as empty. On looking at the instructions I find that there is a button sequence to go through in order to reset for new carts. This did not work. Still showing empty. Had a Google around the forums and found some more button patterns to try. OK, it now accepts the carts as full ... BUT ... every time the printer is switched off or goes to sleep (as it will if not used for two minutes), it is necessary to go through the modified reset routine again before the carts are accepted.

So now I CAN start to download more Premium models into the "Garden" and print them. However, I do notice that the compatible inks are quite a bit less vibrant than the Oem inks. Not a big problem with animal models though. Still not finding any way to archive the downloads outside of the garden though. (but I do solve this problem) ... Stay tuned.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:47 PM

The saga continued ...I found online instructions about refilling the Oem Canon carts by the hypodermic needle method. ie: Showing where the filler holes were and what colour went in which hole. So out came the needles and JetTec inks, and I refilled the empty carts that came with the printer. Nice simple operation, but don't forget to do it on a newspaper or she'll get mad if you stain a worktop.

Popped these carts into the printer ... ran through the reset routine ... and Bob's yer uncle ... success. And they don't need resetting every time you switch on like the compatibles. The carts are reasonably accessible on an MG2450, so they can be quickly whipped out and refilled when they get low again. Just like I do on my primary Brother printer.

Sorted?? Well no not quite. I can still only download, save, and print the Canon Premium models through the Image Garden software on my secondary PC and its cheapo Canon printer. I cannot yet manipulate them on my primary PC and print them on its A3 photo quality printer. ... But, having printed them to paper I can scan them into it, then print and save as a jpg or pdf file which can be used by any PC or printer. A lot of messing around, but no noticeable loss of quality along the way. QED.

Tags
printers