PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 11-15-2019, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
No, I don't personally use Brother Creative Center or the Brother Utilities.

I have a tendency not to install the software programs that come with hardware.
There can bloated extra software that I don't want.
A Printer, for example, might come with a disc that has the drivers and a various programs for printing scanning, etc. as well as software for image editing, organizing, craft ideas, etc.

I plug hardware in, let Windows do its thing, and the software generally works if its compatible.
Available or updated drivers are usually much newer than the disc has, so its always best to go straight to the manufacturer and update those.

With the installation of the hardware, a basic operating program is installed.
With Brother Printers, a basic Control Center is there.
On my system it appears to be called Brother Solutions Center.

But when I print something, I print from whatever program I am using at the time,
and its print controls appear first.
For example, if I print an open PDF from Adobe Acrobat or Reader, I will see a print window with all kinds of document related settings.

But if I click the "Properties" button, I get the Brother Print window that has document, printing, and colour settings.
The Brother Solutions Center has Basic and Advanced settings that I can control and play with.

There are a few "basic" colour settings on the basic tab...there are more colour adjustments on the advanced tab.

After making any changes in the Brother controls, I click OK and close the window,
returning to the original Print window.
I must then "Apply" (if possible) and "Print".

If printing out of Corel Draw, I have a lot more Print options, but i still go to the Brother window,
make my settings, click "OK"...go back to the Corel Print window, choose "Apply" and then Print.
The brother changes will reset anything in the Corel settings.

And, as far as buying after market inks...I study the feedback, looking for clues as to how good the ink is.
Then I might only buy a very small amount of inks to test them.
If they appear to work okay, I will buy larger quantities taking advantage of volume discounts.

Try some online colour tests.
You can search for and save colour swatch images and then test print them at various settings to compare how the settings change things.
https://www.internet-ink.com/colour-test-page
There are also online test sites for testing printing...like this one https://printatestpage.com/
Old 11-15-2019, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 296.90 MB
Thank you for additional tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
No, I don't personally use Brother Creative Center or the Brother Utilities.

I have a tendency not to install the software programs that come with hardware.
There can bloated extra software that I don't want.
A Printer, for example, might come with a disc that has the drivers and a various programs for printing scanning, etc. as well as software for image editing, organizing, craft ideas, etc.

I plug hardware in, let Windows do its thing, and the software generally works if its compatible.
Available or updated drivers are usually much newer than the disc has, so its always best to go straight to the manufacturer and update those.

With the installation of the hardware, a basic operating program is installed.
With Brother Printers, a basic Control Center is there.
On my system it appears to be called Brother Solutions Center.

But when I print something, I print from whatever program I am using at the time,
and its print controls appear first.
For example, if I print an open PDF from Adobe Acrobat or Reader, I will see a print window with all kinds of document related settings.

But if I click the "Properties" button, I get the Brother Print window that has document, printing, and colour settings.
The Brother Solutions Center has Basic and Advanced settings that I can control and play with.

There are a few "basic" colour settings on the basic tab...there are more colour adjustments on the advanced tab.

After making any changes in the Brother controls, I click OK and close the window,
returning to the original Print window.
I must then "Apply" (if possible) and "Print".

If printing out of Corel Draw, I have a lot more Print options, but i still go to the Brother window,
make my settings, click "OK"...go back to the Corel Print window, choose "Apply" and then Print.
The brother changes will reset anything in the Corel settings.

And, as far as buying after market inks...I study the feedback, looking for clues as to how good the ink is.
Then I might only buy a very small amount of inks to test them.
If they appear to work okay, I will buy larger quantities taking advantage of volume discounts.

Try some online colour tests.
You can search for and save colour swatch images and then test print them at various settings to compare how the settings change things.
https://www.internet-ink.com/colour-test-page
There are also online test sites for testing printing...like this one https://printatestpage.com/

I am familiar with both program settings and printer settings. I do appreciate the tips about online color tests and color swatches.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 296.90 MB
Printer Update

Hello, all. I thought I would post an update here. I got the Canon Maxify MB-2720. I am very happy with it.

It handles 110 lb cardstock and the inks are very water resistant. The prints are not as sharp as a photo printer and the colors are probably not perfect - the quality is sufficient for my purposes.

I am about to order the refill kit from InkCarts. I am not out of ink, however I want to have the ink on hand, given potential supply side issues.

Thanks for all the help.

Tags
printers