PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 03-29-2019, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 296.90 MB
Epson Ecotank vs Canon Megatank?

I am looking at getting either an Epson Ecotank or a Canon Megatank printer for printing models as well as general home printing. I have some questions.
1. What are your personal experiences with these printers (any model)?
2. Is it better to get a less expensive printer and use non-brand ink cartridges?

3. Does anyone have access to/use the Canon Premium content and is it a factor in this decision?

All opinions are welcome.

Thank you!

Last edited by altomentis; 03-29-2019 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Add thanks.
Google Adsense
Old 03-29-2019, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 121.73 MB
Hi, I have owned both. I had the Epson Eco-Tank, I can't remember the model number, Right now I have a Cannon MP250.

In my opinion, The Epson Eco-Tank is far and away a much better printer. The graphics are very good, but the main reason I loved the printer is the Tanks. They say it comes with enough ink for two years, and they are correct. I used it to make stickers and after one full year of more than average use, I had only used half of the ink. I wish I still had the printer, I sold it because I gave up the sticker business and went full time RV'ing...Which I failed at.

I think the Epson Eco-Tank line of printers will serve you very well. The one I had was a 3 in 1. I believe Epson make 5 different levels of printers in this line. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I've got the Epson ET-2650, and I'm loving it. You do have to be careful though, because low quality print settings are just that, with faded colors and lines. I've had it for 6 months, and printed about 15 models (3 to 7 sheets each). Still haven't made it halfway through the ink bottles that came with it.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
3. Does anyone have access to/use the Canon Premium content and is it a factor in this decision?

That depends on if you are into animal models. There are 63 excellent animal models on offer. They cannot be downloaded unless there is a Pixma printer actually switched on and connected to the PC. I don't know if the connection can be via WiFi as my Canon MG2450 does not have WiFi facilities. I bought it as a cheap printer/scanner for use with a secondary PC out in the conservatory, but I was influenced to buy a Canon to get at the Premium models.

This worked out fine, but the low volume ink carts supplied with the printer ran out after printing only 6 models, and a fresh set of Canon cartridges costs a lot more than the printer did. I did try a set of "Compatible" carts at half the price, but they always show as empty and have to be reset every time the printer is switched on. Further investigation online revealed how to refill the original Canon carts and the printer is now running fine on JetTec inks. The colours are not as vibrant as the Canon Pixma inks though. So I saved them all onto a portable hard drive which can then be plugged into my main PC for manipulation and printing via its Brother A3 photo quality printer.

Sorry, but I have no experience using the Ecotank or Megatank systems as I've been a longtime user of The IRIS tank systems. I have always used JetTec inks in these as in bulk it is 80% cheaper than Oem inks. However, I have found that it does fade quite rapidly in sunlight unless the print is protected with varnish. I've not bothered to fit a tank system to the Pixma printer though, as the carts are easily accessed to quickly refill with a hypodermic needle.

Last edited by JohnM; 03-29-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.87 GB
I bought on of the ET 2500 3 years ago the ink lasted 2 years. But after I refilled the tanks the waste ink counter shut the printer down. Now I have to take it to an approved Epson service center to be reset
Google Adsense
Old 03-29-2019, 06:54 PM

It can take a little investigating, but I have successfully diverted the waste ink tube on several printers into a sealed container. A sort of plastic balloon thing. It not only saves clogging up the waste ink pad in the printer, but the waste ink can be reused. OK, so it is all colours mixed together, but so is black on a three ink printer. I use the waste ink mixed 50/50 with fresh black when refilling my black cartridges. It works well for me.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:04 PM

Waste ink counter must be reset to continue printing.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:16 PM

Google is your friend ... but don't trust it too far.

Epson printer resetting software and maintenance ( The INK Store )

Resetting Epson printers waste ink pad counter using the SSC Service Utility ( The INK Store )
Old 03-29-2019, 07:24 PM

Sec does not support ET 2500 printers
Old 03-29-2019, 08:02 PM

https://printerkeys.com/reset-epson-...d-counter.html

Not free, but gotta be cheaper than Epson Service Centre.

Tags
printers