PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 06-27-2019, 02:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Question regarding rescaling...

I'm trying to re-scale a model that requires me to have it printed professionally as it's going to be quite large so I just want to check if I'm on the right track here, I've been using some online calculators and searched the forum for some old threads I remember reading years ago and this is where I'm at...

The model in question is the SF Papercraft Gallery Millennium Falcon. I have just built it as provided, I printed it on A4, the only setting I changed was to print it as borderless, I'm aware this may effect my calculations but it shouldn't be enough to matter.

Model is 37cm in length, when printed borderless on A4.

According to Wikipedia, the "real" Millennium Falcon is 34.7metres in length.

Using some online calculators, I have determined that my version of the SF Papercraft Falcon has been built to a scale of 1:93.

I want to enlarge this model so I can build it again at 1:43. I know this isn't a common scale but it's the same scale as the Deagostini 1:1 kit of the studio prop, which measures in at 80.8cm in length.

So basically, based on my research, to go from 1:93 to 1:43 requires the calculation: (93 divided by 43) x100 = 216.27906977

Do I have this right? Printing at 216% should give me a model around 80cm in length?

Just wanted to double check as a couple of calculators came up with conflicting results.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2019, 03:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
If you consider 34,7m as real length of the ship then 1:43 scale is 80,69cm.

If current model is 37cm long it gives me printing at 218% to make it 80,69cm long

Extensions for X-wing
Old 06-27-2019, 05:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
To compiment the calculations that bigpetr posted here are the calculations I get.

Real size 34.7 m / model size .37 m = 93.78 so round up to 94 to get the scale of what you have.

Divide what you have : 94, by what you want: 43 to get 2.186 then move the decimal place two places to the right to get 218.6 for the percent (that is 2.186 x 100). So you would print the 1/94 scale at 218.6% to get 1/43 scale.

You could probably drop the decimal and print at 218% or round up to 219% depending on how calibrated your eyeballs are.

Some graphics programs do not use decimals in their print dialogues for increasing or decreasing. Not sure what the professional printers use so you might be able to use the 218.6% figure.

Last edited by SCEtoAUX; 06-27-2019 at 05:35 AM. Reason: give bigpetr a thumbs up
Old 06-27-2019, 11:29 AM

Thank you both, you've pretty much confirmed I was close, so I'll go with the 218%.

I don't think the decimal point will make a negligible difference, I was hoping to buy a couple of 3D printed accessories for some added detail in an area that will need to be scratch built, it turns out the details I want aren't available in the exact scale I want, and although I'm not a paper purist, it just didn't feel right using too much plastic.

Originally I was going to just print the A4 kit on A3 paper for a larger scale but now I'm starting to like the idea of a 1:1 replica of the studio filming prop, without the 3D printed addons. Finding room to display it might be a challenge, but I've got an idea up my sleeve to deal with that later.

Thanks again for the input.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
I have never tried to create that big a model. Been asked to, but never tried. So this is a sincere question.

Will the paper need cardboard backing to be that big? If so, why not stitch together a million A size prints? I know there are members who have gone big, someone out there in forum land must have a solid opinion.

Our UPS store has a large bed printer, but I chicken out even when it comes to asking how much a page? Especially knowing how many attempts I throw away each time I print.
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2019, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
If you will paint the model I would use 3d printed acessories without hesitation, because otherwise, if you want all details, it will take looooooots of time to build. I consider to build 1:48 scale falcon with all detailing from time to time, but time it would take always puts me off. But maybe sometimes when kids will be grown up and house will be finshed and I will be still crazy enougth I would do it..

I am looking forward to your build

Extensions for X-wing
Old 06-27-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansorge View Post
Will the paper need cardboard backing to be that big? If so, why not stitch together a million A size prints? I know there are members who have gone big, someone out there in forum land must have a solid opinion.
The original model I'm basing this build on has a series of internal boxes to give it strength and stability, I'll be using those to make up the internal structure for my larger build, and in some cases just using them as a template for internal frames, using thicker card. I need to be able to create channels and holes in the framing to run wires for lighting and fiber optics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpetr View Post
If you will paint the model I would use 3d printed acessories without hesitation, because otherwise, if you want all details, it will take looooooots of time to build.
The only parts I was considering using 3D printed parts for were the round disc type parts on the landing gear, and some small housings for the external red warning lights under the hull (I may still use those). I'll try to get access to a 3D printer closer to home though cos I can't justify the prices I saw for parts on Shapeways.

I'll start a new thread for my build and discuss those details further over there.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Look for a "Maker Space" in your area, or check your public library. Maker Spaces usually have a 3D printer or 3, and I've heard some public libraries are starting to get them in.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
Look for a "Maker Space" in your area, or check your public library. Maker Spaces usually have a 3D printer or 3, and I've heard some public libraries are starting to get them in.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that. I also recently joined a modeling club in my area, they like to help each other out with tools etc, they're mostly plastic modelers so I'm hoping one of them has a 3D printer or may know of a cheaper local alternative to Shapeways.