PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 08-11-2010, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Tip is stronger

if you grind back the tip at a reduced angle. Not 'pre-breaking' but rather giving more 'metal' support to more of the tip - many scapels have this feature. Image illustrates the idea - I use a grinding wheel in my rotary tool (slower speed and eye protection, please!) but I think is can be done with a heavy grit stone as well. Just take care.

Regarding sharpening, please pass along more technique information, ye stone gurus, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
X-acto blade sharpener-blade_tip_tip.jpg  
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 08-11-2010, 01:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Gil was right when he mentioned the glass plate backing for the 600 grit wet/dry sanding paper.

I use spray glue to attach sand paper to a piece of 1/4" thick tempered glass.

I should also confess to sharping all of my knives and scissors, using diamond sharping rod and stones.

I bought a real cheap set of diamond hones from Harbor Freight mail order, that work great for razor sharp knives of all kinds. Three different grits and color coded (red, blue, yellow) so as not to get them confused.

The sharperner shown here, at the start of this thread, would work ok if you don't understand the basics of holding the for knife sharping. Most hunting supply store also carry sharping systems like this. IMHO-the hunting store version will work with an xacto as well, but not just limited to one size as this sharperner is.

When using a diamond hone, the less pressure applied means a much sharper edge.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 08-11-2010, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I use the exact same kind of sharpener that Yogi showed in an earlier posts. A few quick passes of the #11 blade through the ceramic side gives a nice sharp edge.

I also have the same diamond hones from the local Harbor Freight store that mbauer mentioned that are used mostly for wood chisels. They work good too.

A sharp edge is always better and safer. :D
Old 08-11-2010, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.24 MB
hmmm

for those who have never tried sharpening thier own blades or not sure how to sharpen them with a simple sharpening stone i pictured in my previous reply

How to Sharpen a Blade
Old 08-11-2010, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi,
I usually break the end off the Excel blades that I use, as I cut thicker card and this creates a new cutting edge. At one stage, when the blade got blunt, I'd just snap off a bit more in between the join of some furniture, like a desk and keep on going with the blade until I had destroyed it. These days, I replace blades after they get blunt and I am in the process of bulk buying blades in lots of 100 for my Excel knife blade holder - like a biro type of hold in your hand.
However, that aside, you know electric can openers have knife sharpening stones usually on the back side. I have not tried them myself, but I might give it a go. I also use a "steel" to sharpen kitchen knives and I was wondering if it would be possible to sharpen these blades the same way?
I found the hardest thing to do with a sharpening stone, was to hold the blade at the correct angle. I never seemed to get a really sharp blade, like when a blade is new and unused.
I will certainly have a go with the Revlon fingernail buffer, they are sold in packs at the local supermarket - Great idea ghshinn.
BigBenn
Google Adsense