PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 05-02-2014, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Styrene View Post
I used to put ships in bottles and after some near disasters I discovered that UHU in the tube was the best thing to keep the sails on during the stressful process of putting the ship in and unfolding everything, so I recommend it for joints that will be stressed.
UHU in a tube is brilliant. It doesn't soak into paper and card, so no deformation of the parts, and seems to set quick and strong enough to hold more stubborn parts together but not so quick it can't be adjusted after a few seconds. It also seems to be incredibly strong when set fully - I have used it to hold 20+ sides together as a book just by gluing paper over the outside spine - and can be used to give massive stiffness to joints and parts made from two layers glued together. Also, hardly any smell.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.69 MB
We in the aerospace industry pioneered and developed "UV Acrylic"resins-primarily as an alternative to "auto-claving" thermo cure resins- and to be used in expeditionary field repairs of composite structures. This technology quickly found it's way into the mainstream and especially found a home in "finger-nail" and manicure shops. The resins instantly cure when exposed to strong UV ("black") light. The obvious advantage being the unlimited "open" time you have to "fiddle" with assembly, but once it goes under the light it cures in less than 3 seconds and is not reversible. These UV resins are also finding a home in 3-D printing applications, curing one layer before the next is laid. They aren't as harsh as cyno acrylics if you're looking to augment or replace "super glue" on your adhesive palette...check 'em out!

Last edited by RickTNRebel; 05-02-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Does anyone have ideas on what Glue to use when joining clear plastic parts to paper? My first experimant failed miserably. - Darren
Old 05-02-2014, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I have had good results bonding plastic to paper using Crafter's Pick The Ultimate Glue.
Crafter's Pick Craft Glues, The Ultimate Glue

Here is a thread from around a year ago
Crafter's Pick The Ultimate glue
Old 05-02-2014, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Thanks Doug. That is what I used the last time and couldn't get a good bond, thus I made the mistake of using Lock Tite Superglue which Crazed the clear part. Maybe I need to try again. - Darren
Old 05-02-2014, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
I use pritt stick which does the trick

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 05-02-2014, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
I have had good results bonding plastic to paper using Crafter's Pick The Ultimate Glue.
Crafter's Pick Craft Glues, The Ultimate Glue

Here is a thread from around a year ago
Crafter's Pick The Ultimate glue
Used The Ultimate Glue on the Mercedes Roadster recently to glue the plastic windscreen to the paper frame with no problems. Worked great to glue the glossy parts together as well.

Fred
Old 05-02-2014, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
necroscoping

sorry for the cross link, but is definitely worth checking out this thread if you are looking for a clean, fast, and easy way to glue up laminations Bonding (gluing) with cling film (food wrap). IT WORKS!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 214.21 MB
i paint my parts sheets with wood sealer before cutting,stops edge color creeping,makes clean up easy and i can use PVA for everything & slop it all over the place without any concerns
Old 02-29-2016, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Has anyone ever considered or tried using "size" adhesive? Apparently this is used in doing gilding and in wallpapering. It's an adhesive that goes on wet, gets tacky in about 30 minutes, and stays tacky for up to 24 hours. My major concern right now is that it'll be too wet and cause warping - sealing my pages before cutting is not an option.

I'm looking at it as a possible solution to the layering required by Mirco's amazing Firefly model, where conventional glues would be dry by the time you finish covering the entire surface, but the common spray glue approach would gunk up the details and would grab too quickly without allowing time for accurate positioning.

gilding:
Amazon.com - Speedball Mona Lisa 2-Ounce Metal Leaf Adhesive Size - Arts And Crafts Gold Leaf

wallpapering:
Golden Harvest 015398 Teknabond 8-Ounce Wall Size/Adhesive - Wallpaper Adhesive Removers - Amazon.com
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Google Adsense