PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 02-29-2016, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Used the Metal Leaf Adhesive and similar Microscale Foil Adhesive for mounting aluminum foil to plastic bodies (sometimes directly to the plastic, other times after painting) to duplicate chrome trim. Also for adding gold leaf into a painting over gesso. Now as to how it work on paper to paper don't have a clue sorry. As long as you put it on very thin, would think it wouldn't cause a problem. Of course that applies to most adhesives.

There is a similar sizing to the wallpaper size used in book binding and restoration work, but better quality and durability....and much higher price.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Any idea as to the strength of the gilding size? I imagine foil doesn't require as much hold as would other bits of paper, so I'm worried I'd be able to pull apart two sheets of paper glued face-to-face with this size.

Reading up more on the wallpaper size and bookbinding size, it seems to me that the choices are PVA or starch - i.e. wheat or rice - and all are water-based, meaning they may not be the silver bullet I was hoping for.
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Old 02-29-2016, 11:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
The bond is pretty strong for a surface bond since the adhesive doesn't really sink into the foil. All the bookbinding size I'm familiar with are starch based.

As an aside to this thread: is Duco still being made? Heard that the company is gone and know the store (Fry's - Kroger) I used to get it at no longer carries it.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
As an aside to this thread: is Duco still being made? Heard that the company is gone and know the store (Fry's - Kroger) I used to get it at no longer carries it.
I ' ve seen Duco at hardware stores .
Most solvent type glues have disappeared from super market shelves because of the fear someone might sniff them.
Other things that are no longer in supermarkets are drain cleaners that work ( have a high lye content instead of just making a lot of foam ), floor wax, TSP and plastic solvents. You can still find them at hardware stores.
On the other hand, the active chlorine compound in off the shelf laundry bleach has been upped from 3%, to 8 to 10%.
Go figure.
The new bleach is really nasty, you have to very carefully dilute it with lots and lots of water before adding to the wash. A few splashed drops ruin clothing and itch if you get it on yourself.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Tamiya Craft Bond (glue) was a very nice product. Amos adhesive is okay, but the Tamiya was the best.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
Bonding Paper to Plastic Revisited

I am revisiting the problem of gluing paper to plastic for canopies. During the 2006 to 2010 period I always used Crafter's Pick The Ultimate with good results. As best I can tell, every model in my collection using that glue continues to hold.

Fast forward to 2016 and I am once again making canopies. Crafter's Pick The Ultimate works fine to a point, but when the joint comes under tension the glued surfaces tend to come apart. My experiments with two part epoxy and super glues did not turn out well. Has anything better come along for bonding paper to plastic, especially under tension?
Old 12-13-2016, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.71 MB
I using Mont Marte PVA craft glue and it seems to work well but as I am a beginner, I don't have experience with anything else yet. So my opinion is kind of biased.

I have ordered Aleene's turbo tacky glue and Scotch quick drying tacky glue so maybe after testing them I know more.

I'm surprised that nobody here seems to be using Scotch tacky glues as that seemed to be very popular with paper crafts when googling for good glue. Is there a reason or are scotch users just quieter than others? :D
Old 07-23-2017, 07:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 312.75 MB
I'm fairly in favour of using UHU General Purpose and Bostick Clear, as these two produce tough strong bonds in a very short amount of time. Other types of glue I have not had the occasion to use, because for aircraft they do not seem to be useful....at least for flying models, that is.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Deepshark - Is this the Bostik clear that you use? https://www.ebay.com/i/182623384811?...D1265776024872
Old 07-24-2017, 01:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Over here in the UK I found Anita's Tacky PVA glue to work very well, I'm guessing its a bit like Aleene's