PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 06-11-2008, 02:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
If I get it right you actually make the part in the first clue by pressing out the center of the second clue. In that case, a very nice solution for something like prop spinner for a DC3 or B17 or similar (the small prop center of a Hamilton standard prop without a regular large spinner).

I take my hat off for that method, particularly since I, somewhat like Shrike, remember playing with confetti rolls to achieve something of the same effect. But I never made the connection in my mind, that something like that could be used as a technique.

As for what it is, that would rule out all three aircraft, since the props have large spinners, and the nose cone of the BAC Lightning is a straight cone and doesn't seem to need this technique of producing bell-shaped items.

So Duesenberg by default, but what part? The headlights don't seem to fit the shape, so that would leave the business ends of the bell-shaped horns, while part 44 would be the stems.

But I would still like it to be the small spinner of a Hamilton prop. For which purpose I will remember the technique; many thanks for that.

Leif
Old 06-11-2008, 05:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
... unless of course it it the business end of a missile hanging under the BAC Lightning...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Since it's hiding part 44, perhaps this is a former or 'mold' to be used to make part 44, which we haven't seen yet? My guess is therefore the 'bulge' in front of the landing gear from a P40-C.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I think it's too pointy to be the P-40C landing gear housing, Dan.

I go with the spinner of the P-40C that hides the inner mechanism of the prop (Part 44?).

Don
Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
I think it's too pointy to be the P-40C landing gear housing, Dan.

I go with the spinner of the P-40C that hides the inner mechanism of the prop (Part 44?).

Don
I'm wondering if the inside is less pointy than the outside. I think the spinner is actually more pointy and less round than this. My other thought was the back of a droppable fuel tank.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:34 AM

Gil, it looks a bit like the tail light housing of a Duesenberg SSJ - here's a good picture: http://www.supercars.net/servlets/PW...sey/41car0.jpg

It's hiding part 44 - knowing your work, part 44 the filament inside the lightbulb which is inside this conical part, and that you've crafted it out of a strand of spider web :-)

Adam
Old 06-11-2008, 10:34 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
"Leif Ohlsson Nails It"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
... unless of course it it the business end of a missile hanging under the BAC Lightning...
Well, almost. It's actually the nose cone of a 454 kg bomb. I tried alluding to the type of construction by using the word "pain" twice in the first post. Yes, it is the dreaded open petal design that we have all learned to avoid if at all possible (anyone remember the reverse petal design?).

The impetus for taking on this problem came from another modeler's build which can be found here:

http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=10784

The builder, Ricardo, has developed a spread sheet for calculating the width of the paper used to make the spiral roll up:

The length of the paper needed to make the roll for this particular case is nearly 4 feet! This is a bit long to keep track of. The idea that struck me was to build a one-off piece, make a mold from it which others could be easily assembled. This would be a simpler, less involved process. This was only partially right. How to build the one-off was the issue? Below is a photo of the solution of that one off effort.

More to come...,

+Gil
Old 06-11-2008, 11:12 AM

Great stuff, Gil! This is the kind of research and experimentation that continues to move this hobby forward!
Cheers!
Bruce
Old 06-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for an irresistable "What is it?" Gil, and for another useful technique.

Back in the days of the Card-fo-mation newsletter, there was an article on making wheels using a similar technique.

Don
Old 06-11-2008, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
That is a great technique. A copy of the spreadsheet would be invaluable.

Thanks
Google Adsense