PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 07-21-2012, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
Interesting tool. I have always just used a metal pen with a tapered tip and rounded end much like the tool you are making. But yours would be an improvement I'm sure.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
Begnt,

Did you recieve a reply? I'd like some of these tools as well. I received no response from the shrike email address.

thanks, erik
Old 08-18-2012, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Although his personal site shows activity as recent as last month, I haven't seen any postings from Mark for over two years. The email address I have for him no longer works, either.

He is a superb model builder, last seen working on one of the GreMir Twin Mustangs: GreMir North American F-82 Twin Mustang 1:33

At last report, he was deeply involved in the restoration of a full-sized airplane and that may be taking up his time.

If you are out there Mark, and guarding this push, many of us hope you are well, that you are busy with other projects, and that we will see you again in the Forum some day.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
New forming tool-keep-em-flying.jpg  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
No feedback from "Janes Tools" yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeach84 View Post
"Janes Tools" was at the Roanoke 'Virginia Shootout' model contest last weekend and speaking with Jane, who mentioned that 'paper modelers like that one...', found she was interested in producing a Styk like tool (as I described it) if her supplier(s) can accommodate it at the appropriate price point. I will be sending her to the forum to read this thread to see what transpired and see what she can do.

I said it was essentially like a knitting needle made of steel to resist the forces we use... so, for what it is worth, there you go!
Not heard anything from Jane yet so it may take a bit of proactive action on our part to get her into the 'game', so to speak. Perhaps just visit their site and send them an email asking about the paper forming tool discussed at the 2012 'Virginia Shootout':

Jane's Tools and Hobby Supply
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 01-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Forming Tools

My Dad was a machinist and I inherited his tool chest. While going through all od his old tools I forming tools that I could use. Besides a little rust, they work great. The wooden ones I had. Thanks Dad. wc

Last edited by Wad Cutter; 01-18-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2014, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
[QUOTE=Wad Cutter;403100]My Dad was a machinist and I inherited his tool chest. While going through all od his old tools I forming tools that I could use. Besides a little rust, they work great. The wooden ones I had. Thanks Dad. wc [\ QUOTE]

That's pretty much the way I ended up with many of the tools I use today, except my dad also built paper models, and actually made tools specific to card modeling. Most are very similar to what most of us use today, but once in a while I come across things that I have no clue how he used it!

SFX
Old 10-04-2016, 10:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
Fellow Modelers,

I'm bumping this older Thread because I have been working with a local Machine Shop for my 'day job', and was thinking of having their Estimator work up a Quote for a run of the "-Styk" Series tools.

What I'm wondering is whether there is still a demand for a Tool(s) like this, and for those who purchased these in the past, what you use your 'Styk' for?

Please bear in mind that I'm not looking to plagiarize or anything like that; the Tool(s) looked very useful to have, and I'm curious about what a run of these would cost.

No ideas on Pricing & availability yet; have to see if it's affordable!

Will let everyone know...

Alan
Old 10-04-2016, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I use my Styks constantly. They are always on my desk/workbench, primarily for rolling curves to make tubes or to put curvature into flat card, but the rounded ends are good for burnishing concave surfaces (usually in conjunction with a Speedball linoleum printing block - another trick I learned from Shrike) and the pointy ends and good for making and enlarging holes and can even be used as scribers.

Don
Old 10-04-2016, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Alan:
I never got any the first time around would be interested Have thought about turning some from brass rod on the wood turning lathe Tough be doable but stainless steel would be better.
Thanks,
Miles
Old 10-04-2016, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
Many Thanks for your Input, Miles & Don!

I have sent all of the pertinent Documents to my Machinist, and we will see what he says... finance is always the driving factor.

Alan
Google Adsense