PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 12-05-2016, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Tips for accurate cutting?

Hi all. Any tips for accurate cutting? Especially of delicate parts?

Since I have difficulty seeing precisely where I'm cutting (a whole host of vision issues which I won't go into here), I've taken to jabbing a small slit at either end of a longer cut. Then I drag the blade across the card until I feel the tip fall into the slit at the beginning of the cut, place the ruler against the blade and make the cut until I feel the resistance ease up when I get to the end slit. I can be fairly accurate for the length of the cut using this method.

But I do have problems getting the beginning and ending slits accurately onto the printed cut line. In general building it usually works out OK. But I'm currently trying to cut some fairly long, delicate pieces. (The elevator and rudder framework on my Zeppelin.) I guess this is more of a vision issue than a building issue but I'm hoping there might be some techniques I can use to ensure better accuracy. I've tried cutting out this part 4 times now and each time has proved unsatisfactory and frustrating. Maybe it's just beyond my abilities. At this point I'm thinking about buying some balsa 'pre-paper' to make this framework. That sort of feels like cheating but it would let the build continue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--jeff
Google Adsense
Old 12-05-2016, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Have you tried magnifying lenses? Either the visor kind or the flip up kind you use with your eyeglasses. Those help in seeing lines and things.

Really good lighting helps out a whole heck of a lot. Use lighting that mostly or completely eliminates shadows on the page.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Jewler's magnifier. Get the LED lighted ones. Another thing you can do, get some good LED lights-the ones that look like regular light bulbs. Way better than flourecents.

When cutting I also use a plastic quilters ruler. It is thick plastic that helps guide the blade.

Mike
Old 12-06-2016, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Years back, I worked only with one of those Jewellers Magnifier head thingy (still got it).
And a Desk Lamp.

Then I started buying Reading Glasses (from the Dollar store) of various magnifications.
A lot more convenient, not as bulky on the head.
Easier to pop off and on.
But I don't need to remove them to see other things, I can just look over the tops of the lenses.

Point is, I have not done as good work, since I stopped using the bigger Magnifiers.
I got a better Desk Lamp, which helped immensely.
But the Jewellers Magnifier allowed me to see better and do finer work.

I never cut against anything but a metal straight edge rule.
Just my preference.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
What about placing a straight pin at each end of the 'proposed' line you need to cut, as a guide for your straight edge to rest on?

Alan
Google Adsense
Old 12-07-2016, 07:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Thanks everyone.

I certainly need to come up with a better location with better lighting. Magnifying glasses are out since I already wear graduated lenses but a visor or jewelers loupe might be workable. I looked at a visor the other day but it seemed very heavy. More research to do here I suspect.

One of my issues is that I suffer from slight double vision in my good eye (no central vision in the other). There's not much that can be done about it and in 'real life' it's not much of an issue--my brain just disregards it. But in detail work (or reading for an extended period) it can be a real #%*$!.

Pins at either end of a cut might be really helpful. I'll have to give that a try.

--jeff
Old 12-07-2016, 07:37 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Good light is the most important things for you maybe. Test this - look at some small print in normal light, then under a good white light. You will see a remarkable difference in perception. White LED bulbs can be bought that into ordinary fittings.

I also wear glasses, but I use as well one of those head magnifiers. They can be extremely expensive, but ones with glass lenses or hi-impact lenses can also be bought cheaply. Mine is a cheapy - had it for years and years - Optivisor (made in the USA) I see!
Old 12-07-2016, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I recommend the Optivisor also. Had mine for many years but only the last 4 or 5 years that I've had to really depend on it for small work. Until you get to the point were you're melting your cutting mat, you can't have too much light--just try to make it daylight or 5000K rated bulbs.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Here is a couple of pictures of the Optivisor. You can buy them around the world - hardware shops often........
Attached Thumbnails
Tips for accurate cutting?-v1.jpg   Tips for accurate cutting?-v2.jpg  
Old 12-07-2016, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
Headworn Magnifiers

I also use a 12" plastic T-square for those times when I question whether I'm lined up properly on the Page!

Alan
Google Adsense