PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 04-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 864.27 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag View Post
Amazon also has legal size cardstock
Amazon.com: Wausau Exact Index Cardstock, 250 Sheets, White, 94 Brightness, 110 lb, 8.5 x 14 Inches: Office Products
There's several different weights available. Just type "legal size cardstock" in the search box.
Wayne
good find! Shipping has restrictions but none that would cancel the free shipping for a couple of slabs of paper.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Regarding the tagboard....I have not had any problem with ink flaking off creases and folds. All the models I entered in the Zio building contest were made from medium weight tagboard from Officeworld.com. Must have been OK, as I came about as close as one can to being able to die a broom to the mast on entering harbor. Something else they have is colored tagboard. I think I may try that out the next order I place with them. They also carry the high-density 1mm and 2mm foam sheets that can be used for backing formers, etc. I highly recommend them.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag View Post
Amazon also has legal size cardstock
Amazon.com: Wausau Exact Index Cardstock, 250 Sheets, White, 94 Brightness, 110 lb, 8.5 x 14 Inches: Office Products
There's several different weights available. Just type "legal size cardstock" in the search box.
Wayne
That is even more better. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB

Kelly Paper will have anything you want. Locations across the US and free samples if you are purchasing paper if not then they have a very small charge for samples. I once sampled a clear product that was for ink jet printers.

http://kellypaper.com/

Jim Nunn
Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 864.27 MB
re: testing the tagboard

The tagboard is labeled 'heavyweight', which is about 100lb variety. Both sides were slightly rough and rougher than typical card stock. At 9 inches wide I had to trim off 1/2 inch. The length of 12 inches is awkward, as my graphics program has several default paper sizes, and none at 8.5 x 12 inches. I chose the Legal setting and also checked the image size to insure it was about 11.5 or less inches. As a result I had to trim the image border width to as close to the parts as I could get. That worked for all pages.

My images were done to fit Legal size so are typically 13 inches long. Adding a paper strip wouldn't help, as printing would spill over the seam line.

The printing was ok, but my old printer isn't happy with such thick paper and doesn't have an adjustment for thickness.

This tagboard would be fine for images in A4 paper size.

So, 9 x 12 tagboard is a substitute for the now hard to find Legal card stock when you only need an additional 1/2 inch. I didn't see anything like 'medium weight', but that would certainly be a better thickness for 1:50 and smaller scale models.

The Tagboard from Hobby Lobby was $9 for 100 sheets. I haven't compared prices, which I will do, but it may be cheaper to buy the 11x17 inch card stock and trim that to Legal or A4 size. The slab from Staples is 80lb weight. I'll have to go back and check the price, as I forgot it. It's been a long week [grin].

Going to 'the city' to find Legal size card stock at a paper supplier was a good suggestion, but it would have to be in conjunction with other reasons to make the trip, as spending over $30 on gas to buy some paper isn't exactly economical.

Later,

- Erik
Google Adsense
Old 04-07-2012, 03:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Officeworld.com has 9x12 medium weight tagboard, which is about the same as 67 lb cover stock. If you purchase a couple of 100 sheet packs, cost plus shipping would be same or less of gas plus purchase price to buy locally even if you didn't have to drive to the city. And, if you load the printer with 9x12 paper, then tell the stupid thing that you have A4 paper to print on, it won't know the difference.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
What Darwin said.
Plus you can trim the 9x12 to A4 size (8.3" x 11.7" or 210mm x 297mm ) and have some strips of paper left that can be used as joining strips when you do not want to use tabs.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 77.25 MB
OfficeMax

I usually use 65lb Wausau paper that I buy from OfficeMax. They don't have the 65lb in Wausau bramd anymore but they do have 65lb in OfficeMax brand. Bought some just today. Looks comperable to Wausau. It is acid free and is 175gsm. One hundred sheets for $9.99.