PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Cricut Opinions Sought

Greetings all, I would care to hear any pro-con opinions about the Provo Craft Cricut cutting machines, seriously considering purchasing such to expedite my model construction process here as well as get detailed pieces cut that I currently cannot.

Any referrals to like-similar machines would also be much appreciated.

One last thing, I'm wanting to do cutout-detailing on small sized tin boxes much like Altoids and travel-sized aspirin tins so any suggestions on how to do such are very welcome, thanks in advance !
Google Adsense
Old 04-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I may be wrong but it seems that the Cricut machine uses pre-programmed cartridges to cut letters and images, you cannot program the machine to cut out paper model parts.

There are machines called CraftRobo and Silhouette SD that have software to to make cutting files to cut what ever shapes you want. There is also a tracing feature to be able to assign cut or score lines for paper models that were not developed with the software. The machines score by cutting part way through the cardstock where a fold is needed. They also utilize carrier sheets which are tacky so the printed paper can be shuffled back and forth in the machine while the cuts and scores are being made.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
The Circut has no readily abailable options for doing your own cuts. Everything has to be purchased from the manufacturer and uses their software. If you are a programmer you might be able to write your own program but it would be easier to by one of the other machines for a little more.

(trust me I bought a Circut and promptly returned it)
Old 04-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 190.24 MB
2012 Best Die Cutting Machine Comparisons and Reviews

Die Cutting Machines Review 2012 | Best Personal Die Cutters | Compare Electronic Cutter and Digital Cutting Tools - TopTenREVIEWS

2012 Best Die Cutting Machine Comparisons and Reviews
1. Black Cat Cougar
2. Boss Kut Gazelle
3. Craftwell eCraft
4. Pazzles Inspiration
5. Cricut Mini
6. Cricut Expression
7. Silhouette CAMEO
8. Cricut Create
9. Sizzix Eclips
10. Making Memories Slice

Cricut Software: DesignStudio vs. Sure Cuts A Lot vs. Make The Cut - TopTenREVIEWS

Alternative, third-party software available to use with Cricut die cutting systems.

-Steve
Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
many others as well, once was looking at the klick-n-cut.

robocut or robocraft is another

mike
Google Adsense
Old 11-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.53 MB
Every once in awhile I get to looking at these but can never find anyone who owns one or has used one to talk to. I am particularly interested in ones that can cut a printed sheet with good registration (alignment) Such as the Silhouette Cameo. But the cost always keeps me from buying one to try.

Come on, someone's gotta be the first to try one of these with paper models and tell the rest of us how it goes
Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 GB
I did a comprehensive comparison, and when I got some mad money, ordered a Klik-N-Kut Zing cutter, for $399. A bit expensive, but completely programable, meaning any vector art you can design, or modify with registration marks, you can cut. I'm happy with mine. I've used it to cut stencils and booklet covers, and have a model in the works. It'll cut a nice variety of materials, up to about 1/8" thick, including cork & balsa.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.53 MB
Could you show a close-up photo or two of a cut piece of a paper model? I just can't find a good example. I'd like to think these cut right on the line, even on little parts... I think the difficulties come from the fact that you have to print from one printer, then move the sheet to the cutter and calibrate
Old 11-16-2012, 04:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 GB
Don't have a sample of a print and cut yet, but they have a video (print and cut) link on their site. You have to bring the art into their software (Make-the-cut), have that software establish registration marks, print out to printer of your choice, and then cut, registering cutter to registration marks.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
The folks over at WorldWorksGames use those machines a lot to make terrain for games.

There is a sub forum that has a lot of discussion about the machines and has many tips and tricks for using them:
WorldWorksGames - CraftRobo / Silhouette SD / Automated Cutting Support
Google Adsense