PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 05-04-2012, 06:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange View Post
Sweet! I've seen this technique on konradus and other European forums, but it's nice to see it here as well!

Say, Mike, when/where did you pick up that F-4E? That thing is rare!

And, speaking of the furry effect....

"That Tiger Tank has real fur!" :D
Not so rare. I've still seen it for sale, but rather expensive. My kids gave it to me for Christmas, they finally figured out what I like to do, imagine that.'
Here is a link to one
.: WWW.MODEL-HOBBY.PL :. Internetowy Sklep Modelarski - Modele Kartonowe, Modele plastikowe, Akcesoria modelarskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
I've used the sanding sealer on shaped things like cupolas and headlights for AFV models - these are made from stacks of card - in your application with 80 gsm paper the glue is probably acting like a sealer.

Regards,

Charlie
Yes you're right I think the glue does act as a sealer, I spin the part and let the heat do the glue setting as I shape the part. Thanks
Old 05-04-2012, 06:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Sweet! Thanks Mike! I'm off to place an order for a copy :D
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Sweet! Thanks Mike! I'm off to place an order for a copy :D
Here is another link they have two of them here.

GPM 155 - McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom II - 1:33 | eBay
Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Harrumph. That's not paper, it's pasteurized process wood pulp............food. O basely done! What's a nosecone without those Darts Of Integrity?? Shame on you.

When it comes to buffing down, I found what worked a treat is holding a pad of paper with a drop of nitrate dope against the spinning workpiece: the hairs left on the workpiece rub off and become part of the slurry, which sort of dissipates or dries, and presto, you've got a filled, dead-smooth surface. I did this a lot with balsa pieces when I was building flyers, and it filled the coarse grain perfectly with so little effort on my part I'd just blush.

I thought the best paper was that slightly-heavy tissue they wrap around your shirt when they giftbox it; it's got a little abrasive quality to it, & is good for the final pass after finest sandpaper too.

'Duster
Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
No, petal design is like managed health care when you have to have a root canal with no pain killers and Jack the Ripper is your dentist.

(I'm not a fan of petals, but I do the best I can)
I feel your pain, but let me tell you what real pain is. As I was building the GPM 155 Phantom 4e I was getting lost in the diagrams. So I decided to translate the Polish instructions to English. I opened up Google translator and proceeded to type in the polish. Imagine the pain when the words "The second part of the hull is a bit difficult as it requires proper forming and bending" now I had just completed the front of the fuselage and was pulling my hair out already and the GPM instuctions tell me it is only going to get harder. They weren't kidding, it is a hard model to build.
Google Adsense
Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Mike, why don't you grace us with a build thread? Your threads always have great information and really awesome build photos.

It very well is difficult, but hey, on the bright side, the model turns out to be an absolute show stopper! Check this one out:

Jeongyop's Paper Model : Papercraft

The finish is gorgeous! I'm pretty sure you can get that level of quality as well!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonduster View Post
Harrumph. That's not paper, it's pasteurized process wood pulp............food. O basely done! What's a nosecone without those Darts Of Integrity?? Shame on you.

'Duster

The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web. Pablo Picasso

There is no right or wrong duster only art in the eye of the beholder, and my eye does not care for the darts. No shame felt here...
Old 05-04-2012, 08:00 PM

I think Duster was complimenting you (?) In fact, I think it was supposed to invoke a bit of humor - or perhaps it's wit. I doubt Duster was meaning any meanness in any way. I had to read it twice to figure out the tone.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I think Duster was complimenting you (?) In fact, I think it was supposed to invoke a bit of humor - or perhaps it's wit. I doubt Duster was meaning any meanness in any way. I had to read it twice to figure out the tone.
Yes, I know . I always try to respond in kind. Duster did not offend me in any way, I was just attempting to meet him in the middle on this...
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Mike, why don't you grace us with a build thread? Your threads always have great information and really awesome build photos.

It very well is difficult, but hey, on the bright side, the model turns out to be an absolute show stopper! Check this one out:

Jeongyop's Paper Model : Papercraft

The finish is gorgeous! I'm pretty sure you can get that level of quality as well!
In view 20 0f the link it appears that he used a technique other than petals on the rockets. I might just post my build in a thread, I have been taking photos as I go and think it looks pretty good, but it is out of print and pretty dated...
Google Adsense