PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
A Fiddlers Green/Clever Models Kitbash

I regularly visit the Clever Models site ( Clever Models Paper Models for the 21st Century - Home ) since they offer extremely realistic model kits and textures. (One of my other hobbies is narrow gauge model railroading, and I've built a couple Clever Models buildings for my module.) There's currently a number of sample models on their "Freebie" page, but I also check the "Model Gallery" and "Blog" to admire other modelers' creations. Take a look at the inspiring photos -- it's amazing what can be done with their products. And while most paper modelers are already familiar with many of the "Tips & Tricks", there's a few suggestions specific to building models which might be useful.

A recent blog post caught my attention. A gentleman in Nova Scotia kitbashed a Fiddlers Green fishing shack with Clever Models textures (wood, tarpaper, shingles, etc.) Adding Grandt Line assessories also improved the appearance. Anyone wishing to upgrade an existing paper building model with more realistic textures might glean some ideas here:

Clever Models Paper Models for the 21st Century - Blog - Kind of a kitbash from WestonRodenizer

David T. Okamura
Google Adsense
Old 08-05-2012, 12:38 AM

Another Clever Models blog post had a link to the Shortline Modelers Lounge, where I found some more interesting items.

Here's a build article on the Clever Models yard shack:

Clever Models Yard Shack | Shortline Modelers Lounge

Here's an intriguing modelbuilding material -- 100 lb Strathmore bristol board coated with a mixture of acrylic gloss medium and varnish. Scratchbuilders might want to take notice of the possibilities (and potential limitations) of this material:

Building the Tonopah Southern 100: Exploring Cardstock | Shortline Modelers Lounge

Good to see that paper is making further inroads in other model fields...

David T. Okamura
Old 08-05-2012, 04:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Thanks for the great links. I've never seen these pages before, lots of good info and amazing models. I spent about an hour just skimming the site and I bookmarked it to spend more time and $ next visit.

Thanks,
Swampfox
Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The use of these other materials to add detail and texture to FG buildings looks like a natural.

Thanks for letting us know about these resources, David.

Are you still building tiny, super-detailed ships?

Don
Old 08-05-2012, 08:23 PM

Don, I've been so busy looking after my Mom that I haven't finished any model since last December. Unfortunately, her physical and mental decline may soon require additional assistance. With this in mind, I can't forsee starting another major project in the near future.

David T. Okamura
Google Adsense
Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm very sorry to hear about your Mother's illness and appreciate your need to care for her. Model building has to take a back seat in such circumstances.

Although we have never met, your ship models were an inspiration to me when I was re-introduced to paper modeling by my old friend and 1950s high school classmate, Bill Geoghegan (alas, long gone from this forum but busy with maritime museum work).

I hope you will continue to post from time to time, as you always have valuable information and provide insights into various aspects of the craft.

Don
Old 10-14-2012, 10:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.59 MB
West Coast

Hi David,
A bit off subject but I was wondering if you know about any gatherings in So Cal or West Coast having to do with paper models? I met you at SMA Exhibit in Newport a couple years ago and I know IPMC is next week but maybe we need something like this on the left coast? I went last year and it was special, best group of modelers I have met. Just a thot.
John Oszajca
Las Vegas
Old 10-14-2012, 11:14 PM

Hi, John!

There's no official regular gathering of paper modelers in Southern California, besides Mike Hungerford's informal get-together at his home. (And it's been some time since I've heard from him about another meet.) IPMS/OC is the "de facto" monthly gathering spot for local paper modelers, but unfortunately I haven't built anything since last December. In fact, we only had one entry in their annual Orangecon model contest on Saturday. I was slightly surprised, but I know Jim Nunn is still midway through his current project. Maybe next year. :-)

As for a West Coast International Paper Model Convention, we investigated the possibility of staging one some time ago. Unfortunately, Southern California hotel rates are exorbitant compared to the East Coast, and they demand too many room nights for their exhibit spaces. (And let's not even discuss the cost of a banquet!) It's simply not feasible given the anticipated attendance.

David T. Okamura