PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-20-2014, 04:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Pepakura

Anyone know if it's possible to get Pepakura Reader installed on an Android tablet?

My modeling work table and computer station are in different rooms, so when building something complex from a .pdo file, I have to keep going next door to refer to the PC screen.

A cheap tablet could be used near the modeling table without taking up too much room, but they all seem to use the Android o/s, and I'm not looking to go to the expense of an upmarket Windows Tablet to solve the problem.

Johnny.
Google Adsense
Old 08-20-2014, 05:38 AM
Anime Moderator

Total Downloaded: 23.29 MB
As the 'hipsters' used to say.....

"This is relevant to my interests".

The short of it is you can't "run" it on a droid just yet. To my current knowledge the version of WINE for droid is still under development. The good news is pepakura Viewer has very few bugs running under wine with only an occasional graphics glitch related to textures. In the meantime there are a few apps you can use to opererate your PC applications THROUGH your droid if they're networked (which sounds to me like the gist of what you're wanting). 'Parallels Access' is the most stable but is subscription based with a 14 day free trial. Hope this helps. (Posted from my 'droid)
Old 08-20-2014, 06:20 AM

That sounds interesting Webdude. The PC and the tablet are both using the same router to get on-line, so I guess networking them would be a logical step. I'll have to run it by my 'Droid mentor.

I'm at the stage where I'm still trying to fathom out how to drive the tablet. Android and touch-screens are still in the 'modern technology that I never asked for' bracket with me ... along with Smart-phones, HD and Smart TV, Engine management CPUs, Electric windows/mirrors and central locking on cars.

When I manage to off load this old Range Rover (It's got central locking but nothing else electronic. Tune-able Carburetors even.), I'm seriously intending on going for a nice simple Triumph Herald next. Might consider a Vitesse, but they just ain't worth the extra premiums (Buying cost, MPG, etc.), just to gain speed and acceleration that I just can't use here in the Welsh Bandit Country back roads.

I'll definitely be looking further into this one though, as I've got hundreds of models on .pdo files. The tablet will also be useful for bringing .pdf instruction sheets onto me desk. That'll save printing them out, just to then throw them away when the model is finished.

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 967.02 MB
have you thought about maybe picking up a windows based tablet or possibly a cheap netbook that you can keep at your worktable?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
One could always create a pepakura viewer for Android from scratch, not requiring any sort of emulation. In my estimate it's about of a month of dedicated work, probably less for skilled developer.
Google Adsense
Old 08-20-2014, 09:09 AM

I've just been visited by my (Modern stuff) mentor and family (Oldest son) and been given a guided tour of all their tablets etc.

We've come to the conclusion that (for me) probably the best solution will be a Win7 net-book like the one I borrowed from him whilst in hospital, with the screen extended onto the largely unused TV that's sitting near my modelling station, and networking the net-book with my main PC.

That way I can use Pepakura via windows as I'm used to, and can fob off the larnin' of new os languages 'n' stuff for a bit longer. So I'm gonna borrow the net-book again to see how I get along with it.

So ... Spot on Wulf111 ... other than you didn't get the added TV screen bit.

imcold ... yeah ... I can see where you're coming from, and it could be a good market if you go there, but it's the 'month of dedicated work' bit that I wouldn't want to know ... I retired over twenty years ago now, and I'm well practiced in the art of doin' nothin' fer a livin' scene. As for the skilled developer bit? ... Moi? ... The only skill I ever developed was .... well, let's just sayiIf you take one of the Ps out of my signature block, it'll get you close.

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny..

Dang it .... missed agin'

Last edited by JohnM; 08-20-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
imcold ... yeah ... I can see where you're coming from, and it could be a good market if you go there, but it's the 'month of dedicated work' bit that I wouldn't want to know ... I retired over twenty years ago now, and I'm well practiced in the art of doin' nothin' fer a livin' scene. As for the skilled developer bit? ... Moi? ... The only skill I ever developed was .... well, let's just sayiIf you take one of the Ps out of my signature block, it'll get you close.
I'm not trying to suggest that you should do it yourself, not at all. However there are a few members in the paper modelling community who could do it. If I had a tablet, it would be most likely already done.
And I'm curious how would Tamasoft look at it; they're not interested in supporting such third party efforts.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:33 PM

imcold ... I didn't really think you meant I should do it, I just thought it amusing that anyone would think I was capable.

I don't doubt that there are quite a few among us that would be capable, but, desirable as it is to many, we have to be realistic here. Even if Tama-Soft were to sanction it, Pepakura Reader and Designer are distributed for free. So any third party modifications or add-ons are only ever going to be freeware, with no financial reward for the work involved. So it's unlikely anyone will put in the effort unless they have a strong personal desire to market their .pdo designs to work on these alternative systems.

OK, accepting that Windows still holds by far the biggest percentage of the OS market, Both Mac and Android are gaining rapidly, and Linux shouldn't be ignored either. You'd think that Tama-Soft would be quite active in penetrating these markets too, but with all their software that I'm aware of being free, and advert free too, I have no idea how they fund their existence.

I've now got a cheapo net-book next to my modeling table that is fully networked with my main PC and laptop, allowing files to be easily moved between them. So I now have much easier access to .pdo and .pdf files whilst building, and can even have a peek on line if there's any queries. OK, the Net-book screen is a bit small for viewing them, but it is usable.

I have had the screen extended onto the bigger TV as well. My spares box didn't come up with a long enough lead, but we proved it will work OK by joining two leads with a gender changer. A new 4m lead will now be obtained asap.

So my original query isn't really answered and is still open for discussion, but my personal problem with it is satisfactorily resolved. Not a solution for everyone I know, as Cheapo net-books are not plentiful and seem to be rapidly disappearing from the market. All I can say there is keep trying on e-bay. The bargains are out there. I'm still looking as the one I'm using was borrowed just to prove the concept and I will have to return it soon.

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 967.02 MB
Glad you were able to figure out a solution and i missed the connect to TV aspect but i was close if you were in the states i could be of help in locating a suitable device i am always coming across them.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Hmmm ... Googled 'Cheapo netbooks' and didn't come up with anything helpful.

Is that a European brand?

Yes, that was a poor attempt at humor, if you didn't guess that already

Glad you have things set
Google Adsense