PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-30-2014, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 124.62 MB
what paper should I use?

hi, I am going to build some planes model by the user scissorsandplanes.
what do you think it's the best paper for crafting?
what glue should I use? and what about the cut? what do you think are the most proper cutting tools to use to get a nice and precise cut without applying to much pressure on te sheet?

Thank you!
Google Adsense
Old 08-30-2014, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
I mainly use 160 to 180 gsm card. Photo copy paper (90 gsm) comes in handy for small diameter tubes.

PVA (white) glue is best for general use.

Best cuts are done with a sharp blade or scissors.

Tim
Old 08-30-2014, 02:45 PM

I often use this glue, is it good for the job?
Old 08-30-2014, 03:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I have successfully built many of Bruno's (S&P) 1:300 scale aircraft using 160gsm cardstock. Bruno mainly uses 80gsm paper (Photocopy paper), which is much easier to form but my stubby mechanic's fingers tend to crush this too easily. I've also found that the 160gsm models have a greater survival chance when my grandsons get hold of them.

I primarily use fine pointed embroidery scissors for cutting out, but there are times when a craft knife and cutting mat become essential. Many modelers use a knife all the time.

If you are a beginner at this, I suggest you start with the bigger models, like the cargo planes or airliners, so that you can get used to Bruno's way of working. There being little in the way of instructions available, it is usually advisable to Google some pictures of the aircraft, so that you can see what it is supposed to look like. Or study the built pictures in the thread.

Best of luck with them, and we look forward to seeing pictures of your finished models. Don't be too embarrassed to show a rough build. This will enable us to tell you what and how to improve on them. You never know, perhaps we'll even be asking you how you got it so right.

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:44 PM

Thank you Johnny, so I think I will use 160 gsm paper.
Anyway, I like mainly airliner so I will try to build some 777 and 747
do you think 160gsm paper is fine also if I print them on an A4 sheet?
what glue do you use? do you know if Bruno ever relased instruction for the assemblying?

thank you!
Google Adsense
Old 08-30-2014, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Being a European (Belgian) Bruno's models are designed to be printed on A4 sheets, but many of them don't fill the sheet ... so you can reverse the sheet and run it through the printer again to get another copy on the other end. It's always good to have spare parts available when you're learning, and with Bruno's models, we're all still learning.

As for glue, I use a simple white "Craft Glue" that I get from a Knitting & Sewing shop that my wife frequents. This stuff doesn't even carry a maker's name, so I presume it's Chinese, but it's cheap, it does the job OK, and it dries clear.

I pour the glue into a hypodermic needle thing that came with a printer ink refill kit. This delivers the glue very sparingly, very precisely, and can get into some inaccessible places ... like inside a wing or fuselage to re-glue that awkward tab that didn't stick properly. Sometimes I find it better to dry fit a part, and when it is held in place, the hypo can be wiggled in to apply glue to the tabs and act as a probe to push them into contact.

I strongly recommend that you read through Bruno's 'One model per working day' thread right from the beginning. It's a loooong thread, but there's much to be learned as well as the many free models on offer.

And when it all starts to go wrong, just bear in mind 'It's ONLY PAPER' just screw it up and start again. Only practice makes perfect, but don't forget to have fun along the way.

I always have a secondary simple build going, so that if one needs to be set aside to dry, or just isn't going right, I can switch to the other build to avoid losing my cool with the first one. Canon's little animals are great for this.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:21 PM

thank you so much for your suggestion Johnny!

Actually I also have many canon animals already printed which are waiting to be assembled =)
Old 08-31-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Being a European (Belgian) Bruno's models are designed to be printed on A4 sheets, but many of them don't fill the sheet ... so you can reverse the sheet and run it through the printer again to get another copy on the other end. It's always good to have spare parts available when you're learning, and with Bruno's models, we're all still learning.

As for glue, I use a simple white "Craft Glue" that I get from a Knitting & Sewing shop that my wife frequents. This stuff doesn't even carry a maker's name, so I presume it's Chinese, but it's cheap, it does the job OK, and it dries clear.

I pour the glue into a hypodermic needle thing that came with a printer ink refill kit. This delivers the glue very sparingly, very precisely, and can get into some inaccessible places ... like inside a wing or fuselage to re-glue that awkward tab that didn't stick properly. Sometimes I find it better to dry fit a part, and when it is held in place, the hypo can be wiggled in to apply glue to the tabs and act as a probe to push them into contact.

I strongly recommend that you read through Bruno's 'One model per working day' thread right from the beginning. It's a loooong thread, but there's much to be learned as well as the many free models on offer.

And when it all starts to go wrong, just bear in mind 'It's ONLY PAPER' just screw it up and start again. Only practice makes perfect, but don't forget to have fun along the way.

I always have a secondary simple build going, so that if one needs to be set aside to dry, or just isn't going right, I can switch to the other build to avoid losing my cool with the first one. Canon's little animals are great for this.

Hi Johnny, today I tried to build a 777 model (new zeland livery) but I had really really hard times!
I wasn't able to complete the engine because it was too small.

and I also noticed that the different modules of fuselage of the body didn't fit with each other so I had to fold them a little more than as indicated by the white stripes.

did you have the same problems? how can I work them out?

thank you
Alberto
Old 08-31-2014, 03:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.25 MB
That Uhu glue is great! I tried it out, and it was fantastic. I went to get more and I can't find it anywhere except the internet. So I mostly use white glue (PVA) and superglue. I almost exclusively use 110# matte white paper, for what it's worth.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason14 View Post
That Uhu glue is great! I tried it out, and it was fantastic. I went to get more and I can't find it anywhere except the internet. So I mostly use white glue (PVA) and superglue. I almost exclusively use 110# matte white paper, for what it's worth.
do you also work on 1/300 aircraft models?
Google Adsense