PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.22 MB
UHU all purpose cement is the best for paper models, quick drying but gives you enough time to adjust the parts then it will stay put until it is fully dried. The stringing can be avoided if you use a toothpick or any convenient carrier...depending on the size of your model. It is unknown in the states, although it works very well with traditional balsa stringer on bulkhead models. I have been using it since I was 7 years old...I am now 67! It exists in Mexico! I buy large amounts whenever I am there on business. You can buy it online akso from different places , but at a higher price. I am adding a pic of a couple of card models made using UHU.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
UHU glues are different between US and Europe. I used to build everything using something imported from UHU Germany that came in a little tube that you rolled up like toothpaste. ("Alles-Kleber"). It was strong, clear, and smelled a lot like Duco, i.e. lots of aromatic chemicals that probably go straight to the liver. No longer available in any store I know in USA. Switched to Aleene's Tacky Glue, especially Fast Grab, but would be interested if anything like the old UHU were available at say Michael's Craft and Hobby stores again.

On line at Michaels.com I am seeing

1) UHU Twist and Glue, which sounds like soggy Elmer's PVA type glue, as Keds Lala describes it.

2) UHU Creativ' Craft Glue for Cardboard & Paper. Anyone have any experience with this?

I see at uhustic.de that there is still an "all-purpose adhesive" that sounds like the old Alleskleber.
All Purpose Adhesives - UHU The All Purpose Adhesive, UHU All Purpose Adhesive Twist & Glue, UHU Multi purpose Adhesive Twist & Glue : UHU
Anyone know of a source in the US for this clear gel type glue?

Cheers, Rob Tauxe
Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I recently bought a bottle of the Uhu Multipurpose glue with the twist top for different widths of application. I bought it at Michaels.
So far it works well, but the consistency is very thin. so I have been using it to adhere sections of my Sulaco build together. I also use it for laminating parts since it has a decent working time. But for general building, I use Tacky glue, either the quick drying or the fast grab versions. Uhu would probably work for general building if applied with a syringe or other small applicator to control the amount applied. Straight from the bottle it come out in large qauntities that can get out of hand quickly.

Well that my $0.02 worth.