PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
UHU All-Purpose Glue

I go to a German Forum alot and notice many times that they are using a type of UHU that, as of until today, I had not seen in any Craft/Hobby Shops, other than our good ole friend the glue stick of which I like to use to laminate small parts with. Anyhow, this stuff comes in a plastic bottle that allows you to apply the glue in 3 different ways, small dots, a fine line, and last a wide line. The glue is almost like Duco Cement, but is a little thinner in consistency, does not string which many fault Duco for, does not bother me, just have to be careful, reminds me of my childhood days w/tube glue and model cars, just watch the string and keep away from model! Glue is acid free, non-toxic, dries clear and comes in a 3.21 oz container that seals up nicely. I have a little project I am about to start, and I plain to use this to see how it works. Glues paper, cardboard, wood, felt and fabric as well as metal, foam, and plastics. I picked the glue up @Micheal's. Now what I am afraid of, is the stuff will be just the bomb, and they will never get again! Such is the life of a paperfile.Rick
Google Adsense
Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 AM

Hey, if Cooker (from Wallace and Gromits A Fine Day Out) can use it to glue the cheese on the Moon, it has to be good! lol

Old 04-14-2009, 07:13 AM

I have seen that glue I think at Micheal's but did not buy it as it was dear and I not know how it would work. I use Uhu Kleber from Germany but I not see the same glue in USA. "Uhu All Purpose Adhesive" is the closest one I found here. I had to have a friend buy me it from Uhu's USA web site. Here in shop I find only Glue Stick but I prefer Ross Permanent Glue Stick over Uhu Glue Stick and I can buy Ross Glue Stick at grocery store.

I wonder why glue is named after Eagle-Owl bird?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:35 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
I use UHU for all my builds; there seems to be a difference between the Europeans and the Americans, they prefere PVA type of glue,
The multipurpose UHU also comes in a gel-type and is even better as the normal tends to string..
This type of glue does not affect paper,and dries within seconds I find PVA harder to work with because it sucks into the paper and slightly deforms it, and takes a bit longer to dry
At the end it's just what you are familiar with and what you like..
Or as we say " The farmer doesn't eat what he doesn't know"
Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
I wonder why glue is named after Eagle-Owl bird?

Uhu is an old German company
Back in the 1930-ties it was a sort of tradition companies producing "Office suplies" like ink and pens etc used birdnames, like Swann, Pelican, The company is based in the German Schwartzwald, or Black forrest,where the Uhu owl lived at that time...end of history lesson :D
Google Adsense
Old 05-06-2009, 05:34 AM

i use UHU in some times but mostly use either weldbond or tacky glue.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 AM

I have bought that Uhu in the big yellow bottle. It is ok but a bit deceiving to me. It is clear so I think it is like Duco, Weldit, etc. But it is like a clear white glue and it will soften paper quickly. I like it some but you must be cautious also.

I still prefer the Uhu tube glue. For some item that require very quick bond but adjustment I use Fast Grab Tacky Glue.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:52 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Sticky subject

I like Elmer's.

The DC
Old 05-07-2009, 02:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 260.53 MB
I use UHU in many cases. But there are two different types available. I donīt know, how they are sold in the US, here in Germany we have the yellow botle with GREEN cap - be carefull! It is Water based! Very good for the childrenīs use at school.

The other one has a BLACK cap, without water, very good to laminate paper on cardboard, but you will smell the difference:D
Old 05-07-2009, 07:01 AM

Here it is sold the yellow bottle with the yellow cap. It is called "Twist & Glue" and is said to be non toxic. It say "Made in Germany" on the bottle. It is "okay" glue but I prefer tube type glue from Uhu mostly. Although the tube glue is not sold where I live aparently. The Twist & Glue it is not the most tacky or sticky glue and it will make paper pucker and wrinkle. It is thin and easy to spread though.
Google Adsense