PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 09-15-2014, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Questions about printers

So I'm looking at buying a printer, there was a thread here about this a few months back, but I figured I'd restart the conversation. Maybe you guys have some ideas. There's a couple models I'm looking at.

I tried sharing the URL of one but for some reason I was forbidden to post. There are a lot of rules around here that I don't understand.

My main question is about how I'll know if the printer I'm buying can print on something heavier like card stock. Is there some specification I should look for? Is there a printer that most of you use? I don't want to spend over 100 bucks on this, it doesn't have to be perfect, just functional.

Thanks!
Google Adsense
Old 09-15-2014, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPicard View Post
I tried sharing the URL of one but for some reason I was forbidden to post. There are a lot of rules around here that I don't understand
Welcome to the forum

The rules exist to "weed out" the spam bots and encourage members to play an active role on the forum. Post a few more times on other threads and those restrictions will lift.

As for printers, I have a Brother printer with a CISS. It has served me well.

There's quite a few threads here with other members having similar questions. Look around, ask around, you'll get the answer you're looking for.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Usually if a printer is capable of printing photos, greeting cards, or business cards it most likely can print on the cardstock commonly used in paper modeling.

If you get an inkjet printer get one with individual ink cartridges. If you feel up to it get one with available refillable cartridges or better yet get one with an available Continuous Ink Supply System (CISS). If you really feel up to it and have the space get a large format printer.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
STAY AWAY from laserjet printer. Reason for being, is that the image on the paper will crack and flake off.

You will want an inkjet printers. You will get much better results.
Most printers will handle heaver cardstock. I can use up to 300gsm paper in my HP. Inkjet 4500 without any problems.

You should also talk to your local computer salesman and ask what the different models can handle.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for all of your replies! I'm in a cramped little apartment, so I want to keep it as small as possible! I didn't know that laserjet had those problems, so that's very good info. Great community you guys have here. I'll try to post some of my older projects at some point! I was actually looking at a Brother MFCJ450DW, so that's probably the route I'll go.
Google Adsense