PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 09-16-2014, 01:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
More printer problems

Hello all,

I am having problems with my CISS for my Brother printer. The problem is that I can't get it to work! Can anyone enlighten me as to how to prime the cartriges? There is no ink getting to the actual replacement cartridges with air bubbles in the supply tubes, so no printing. When I check the cartridge status, it says that they are full.

Many thanks

Bernie
Google Adsense
Old 09-16-2014, 04:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
I used to get that a lot try lifting the ink reservoir high and see if the ink will flow through the supply pipes, that usually worked for me
must get one for my new printer some day
Old 09-16-2014, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I have a CISS for a Canon MG5220 all in one printer. Included with the system are some syringes with suction cups attached to use in purging the ink cartridges and the ink supply lines to the cartridges. There is one syringe for each ink color.

Basically what you do is remove the cartridges from the printer, place the suction cup over the exit hole on a cartridge, then draw up the plunger to purge the air out of the lines and fill the cartridge. Any ink in the syringe can be put back in the ink tank. There is a procedure with some plugs on the ink supply tanks you have to follow before and after the purge procedure to make sure ink does not get all over the place and then to make sure ink can get to the ink cartridges when they are re-inserted into the printer.

Check with your installation instructions or the site you purchased the CISS to see if there is a purge procedure.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I use a Brother Printer that uses LC1240 cartridges.

The INIS CISS unit with it uses standard cartridges with the feeder tubes attached to the Air vents. So as the ink level falls in the cartridge it causes a vacuum that draws in ink through the tube.

So what you've gotta do to get it started is create a vacuum in the cartridge to pull the ink through from the tank, pushing the bubbles out of the tube.

To do this, remove a cartridge (one at a time), noting the socket that plugs into the printer. A standard plastic hypodermic needle with the needle removed, is a nice tight fit in this socket. With the socket pointing up, Push the hypo right in to open the valve, and pull the plunger out to suck the air out. Pull it out to reset the hypo, and repeat the operation until you get ink in the hypo barrel. The cartridge should now be full of ink, and the feeder tube free of bubbles. Plug the cartridge back in and repeat for all cartridges.

It is not essential to get ALL the air out of the cartridge.

A few more tips with the Brother printer system. If it stops and tells you it needs more ink at an inconvenient time ... just pull out the affected cartridge, and put it back in again. The printer will ask you "Did you change the red cartridge?" ... LIE and say yes ... It will then assume a full cartridge and carry on printing. Don't forget to fill up as soon as convenient though, or you'll end up in the situation you're in now.

Another tip ... If you are running standard cartridges and they run out ... using the hypo up the socket ... inject a hypo load of ink into the cartridge. Be careful though. It might not all go in as you're compressing the vacuum. Withdraw the hypo gently, allowing the valve to shut before you withdraw. Have some tissues at the ready for mopping up any spillages.

Everyone, but everyone, tells you to use a separate hypo for each coloured ink ... but I've been using the same one for years. I just flush it out with clean water before changing colour. Ink jet printers use water soluble ink, so expensive Flushing fluids are just not necessary. On my old HP printer, with print heads built into the cartridge, just standing the heads in a saucer of warm water for ten minutes usually cleaned out any gummed up nozzles. Don't forget to wipe it dry though, as the electrical connections are on the same strip.

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Gary, Doug and John,

Many thanks for your suggestions and the problem has now been solved. The simple trick of sucking the air out with a syringe was just the ticket. I don't know about the rest of you, but I get a bit twitchy when I can't print out any models, even if I am not building them immediately (which is the case the majority of the time!).

Again, thanks guys

All the best and happy modelling

Bernie
Google Adsense