Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 10-30-2014, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 246.84 MB
Ah thanks, much appreciated :D
Old 10-30-2014, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoffKalast View Post
Just one question, how would lb translate to g/m^2? Google isnt being helpfull at all...
Anyway I use 200g card for just about everything and it seems to work out quite well for the most part.
g/m2 means grams per square meter. Also shown as gsm sometimes. If you find this number on a cardstock pack, you can compare these numbers to get an accurate idea of how they relate to each other.

The US system of cardstock weight is very misleading.

SCEtoAUX supplied a link to an equivalent chart I created to help understand all of this "heavy" stuff.

Hope this helps explain a little more...

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 10-30-2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Link already posted.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wink Cardstock Weight .

Hi;
I guess I am kind of dumb when it comes to paper-weight ( the approximate thicknesses thereof ) I usually do this When I am out and about ,we have a lot of Museums here in New Braunfels , Texas . I pick up their cards displaying their ads and features .They are a heavier gloss on the printed side ,but with a smooth white side .It measures about .020 or .015 on my calipers .
I use these mainly to build frames for the subject I am working on . If they aren't long enough , well , I put two together end to end and put an abbreviated joiner strip in there . They make great ship base plates for waterline models and top plates if you want the hull bottoms .They are great for box spars in planes too !
Also , And I have done this with great success , translating to my client's plastic ship models . I make the frames undersize then put a thin strip of this weight on each frame in a " T " configuration .That way if you want to " Plate " your model for more strength you line up your " plate " on the frame center line and lightly glue it in place .
When I say lightly ,take the glue you use and put a thin film on the strip , The " Plate " if made of regular construction or " Bond " paper will show no glue wrinkling this way . The approximate weights I deal with I guess come out to .050 , .010 , .020 and .040 ( "almost cardboard" ( base plates only ! ) I hope this helps you a little . Papersurprise 50