PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 12-18-2014, 02:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ship rigging

I've read the post re: using corn starch solution to stiffen thread. Was wondering what other method (trick) may be used. I tried "sewing" the thread through the deck which kinda worked but the result at the mast was lousy. The rigging done on the recent RF Messina build has me green with envy. And some of you other builders - the same thought. You stuff is so dam good. I'd at least like to get mine rigging closer to your alls.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Hey Greg....

I've always had good fortune with fly-tying threads and imbibing with CA glue. The fly tying threads don't have the "hairs" or "fuzz" that sewing threads do. I cut a length about 6-7 feet long, tie it to my light fixture in my office ceiling and weight the other end with a good weight. Taking a piece of paper about 2" long folded in two, I put a line of CA in the folded paper. Pinch the line and run it to the bottom in several strokes. Re-add CA to the paper as needed to imbibe a good amount into the thread. Leave to dry for a good period.

Cut it down and you'll have a line solid and stiff that's easy to work with. You can cut it into smaller sections to apply to your model.

It's been my method for years.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eibwarrior View Post
Hey Greg....
Cut it down and you'll have a line solid and stiff that's easy to work with. You can cut it into smaller sections to apply to your model.
It's been my method for years.
Great tip!! Will have to give this a try at some point.. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
You're welcome. Give it a try. I had the same frustrations as Greg early on in my modeling years trying to make sewing thread and other mediums work. After some experimenting this has been by far my most successful technique.

When I look at my older models, it makes me want to re-rig them.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
I have worked with various kinds of threads and the one that I use exclusively for ship rigging, is upholstery thread. It has a high tensile strength and no fuzz. The thread is smooth and makes great running line rigging. It sets straight and will not sag with time. You will have a tough time breaking it with you fingers and it has to be cut. You can find it at any fabric store or in the fabric section of Wal-Mart.
Google Adsense
Old 12-19-2014, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 814.53 MB
Hi;

This reply concerns techniques rather than a suggestion of medium. Having some experience with curatorial restoration, a good durable way to rig card models is to use a natural fiber line such as linen or cotton. Suspend a section of line under weight. Hand it from a shelf with the bottom tied to a pencil or brush. Paint it with a mixture of fifty percent "Elmer's Glue All" and water. Let it dry for a day or so. The mixture will get the fuzz to lay down and will also stiffen the line so you can cut into sections. Since there is glue in the line it will attach to card spars and masts mare readily and puts less stress on them. If you use knots, glue each knot with full strength glue. All glues collapse with age. Elmers will last longer than we will. CA is tricky if the attachment points are not absolutely clean. It permeates fiber forever and, being brittle, does not take kindly to lateral stress. Modern chemical based line presents difficulty with stretching and outgassing. Stretched sprue is inconsistent in density, outgasses, and snaps at the least excuse. Metal line is best use with miniatures due to weight and attachment difficulties. Hope this information is useful for you.

Regards, rjccjr
Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Quote:
fly tying threads
Eibwarrior, what sort of thread is this? Is it fishing line?
Old 12-19-2014, 03:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Fly tying thread is not a type of fishing line but rather the thread used to construct flies for fly-fishing. It comes in many sizes, colors and materials. It's main advantage over common sewing thread is that it's much smaller in diameter. The most common sizes are 6/0 and 8/0. The 6/0 is a bit heavier and easier to work with while the 8/0 is used when a smaller diameter is needed. You can go to your local fly shop if you have one or order online from hundreds of sources. I picked this link at random just to give you an idea of how many options are available: Fly Tying Thread, Tinsel, & Wire | J. Stockard.

Curt
Old 12-19-2014, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.28 MB
Nothing beat rigging line like elastic thread. You can get it in just about any store that sells fabric or sewing supplies. It is slightly thicker than regular sewing thread, actually looks like black thread until you pull it. There is an elastic core running thru the center which gives just enough tension to allow it to be pulled tight without torquing the masts off to one side. I have seen it in in basic black, white, and even silver which works great to simulate cables

Last edited by thomaswg48; 12-19-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: mis spelling corrected
Old 12-19-2014, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 68.03 MB
I needed a short length of thread for a rope on an N scale model I built recently. I took some embroidery thread, unwound a foot or so, put a blob of beeswax on the thread near the spool, and heated it with a hair dryer. The beeswax melted and dripped down the thread, soaking in as it went. Then I cut off the two inches I needed. The nice thing was, since the wax isn't inflexible, I was able to add a little sag in the rope on the finished model.

Sag, of course, is exactly what you don't want in ship rigging...
Google Adsense