PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 01-23-2015, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Desperately Seeking Silver (metallic paper, that is)

Gang,

I'm having a seriously difficult time finding silver metallic paper that will work with my Canon printer. Appealing to the group for ideas.

-- The Red River bright shiny metallic is long gone, but has anyone found a workable substitute?

-- My favorite silver metallic paper came from a place called Inkjet Station (Fine Art Photo Paper Inkjet Canvas Giclee and Photography Epson Stylus, Canon, HP Printer Paper and icc profiles), but they seem to have gone paws up. No answer to e-mails or phone messages.

The silver papers I've bought since -- the two-sided kind with a bit of texture to it -- don't work with my printer. Everything comes out extremely faded. Again, any recommendations for replacement silver metallic paper? Is there some configuring I have to do on the printer (Canon PIXMA MP250)?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanx!

Les (The Voice of Authority -- VoiceofAuthority.net - The Voice Stylings of Les Dorr, Jr.)
Google Adsense
Old 01-23-2015, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Have you tried the stuff available from here Paper-Papers.com Metallic Paper and Metallic Cardstock? Not sure what subjective standard you are looking for, but the few times I have used the Silver, Lustre, and Crystal card stock from there have been adequate.

I tried some of the Silhouette printable silver foil, but that did not work out very good. It has a clear plastic film over silver colored paper and is backed by a white layer. The printing goes on the clear film which likes to separate from the silver layer.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:01 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
I have been looking for a substitute for Red River paper and still didn't find it ...
The best thing I found was this; Golden Artist Colors, Inc. | Digital Ground
But it raises other problems...
Used it in the Alan Rose DC3 build; The Alan Rose DC-3
Old 01-24-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Have you tried the stuff available from here Paper-Papers.com Metallic Paper and Metallic Cardstock? Not sure what subjective standard you are looking for, but the few times I have used the Silver, Lustre, and Crystal card stock from there have been adequate.
Thanx for the tip. Hard to know which of these is similar to what I'm looking for.

Les (The Voice of Authority -- VoiceofAuthority.net - The Voice Stylings of Les Dorr, Jr.)
Old 01-24-2015, 01:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Some links:
Inkjet printable metallic and holographic adhesive film and paper. Not sure how reliable this place is for customer service. Super Pricey!

Super heavyweights (260gsm-300gsm) photo papers. Looks like the Metalic Sliver Lustre is out of stock-that is the one I use. https://www.itsupplies.com/Metallic-Inkjet-Paper

Finally had issue printing on this one-ink pools on top, but if you can reverse/mirror print the back side works great: Silver Foil Paper - 12 x 12 in 10 pt Cover | Paper Store 24/7 Mirror Finish Paper 3-WFP0051U

Another source: Looks like they went the way of the Dodo Bird...

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2015, 02:10 PM

A link to some tests tried in the past. Lots of links in the replies: Silver Foil Paper - 12 x 12 in 10 pt Cover | Paper Store 24/7 Mirror Finish Paper 3-WFP0051U

Color Testing Metallic Paper

Hope this all helps!

Mike
Old 01-24-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
A link to some tests tried in the past. Lots of links in the replies: Silver Foil Paper - 12 x 12 in 10 pt Cover | Paper Store 24/7 Mirror Finish Paper 3-WFP0051U

Mike
You're a more knowledgeable card modeler than I if you can figure out what all the different descriptions mean!

Here's what I ended up buying. I just hope it's what I'm looking for.
FAV Shimmer Pure Silver - 8.5 x 11 Paper - 81lb Text (120gsm) - 25 PK

Old 01-24-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umtutsut View Post
You're a more knowledgeable card modeler than I if you can figure out what all the different descriptions mean!

Here's what I ended up buying. I just hope it's what I'm looking for.
FAV Shimmer Pure Silver - 8.5 x 11 Paper - 81lb Text (120gsm) - 25 PK

Whoops. wrong link! Was going to post a link to a thread here about searching for metallic paper.

Mike
Old 01-24-2015, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
If you print with an inkjet printer the ink will soak into the paper. Printing on anything but white paper will always alter the way the final colors look, most likely by dulling them. You just have to accept that or see if there is a way to brighten the prints through the printer properties.

Here is a model I printed on some of that stuff from paper-papers.com. I think it was on the Crystal 120gsm because I was trying to get a metallic sheen without altering the colors too much.

Not a perfect reproduction, but not bad. You can really see the dulling in the red on the tail.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.68 MB
I've spray painted some of my card and paper stock silver and it has worked relatively well through my black laser printer. Of course this means no color, but in the case of an Apollo CM, I made a separate sheet of non-silver with colored markings to pasted them on top like decals. I admit this would not work for some of the detailed lettering such as on that P-51, but it will work if the markings are fairly large and simple geometrically.

oh, paper is thoroughly dry before feeding and coated with artist fixative after print.
Google Adsense