PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 03-21-2015, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 449.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumdragon View Post
Hello dtomasch :-) Damage to paper models? Intriguing!=

Aweme reply Plumdrago. Thanks! Yeah, I've sort of realized that over the last couple days. I've seen some of the resin / plastic models that some of done damage too, which is super cool. So I realize that I'm going to have to plan some things out and most likely add some parts to my paper models for a super structure underneat the damaged bits, etc.

So that sounds like an exciting challange when I get to that.

And yes, I do think that paper lends itslf to the damage aspect if it. I can envision taking an actual physical match to parts of the model, maybe having a wet cloth near by and just singing parts of the model for AUTHENTIC damaage, lol.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason14 View Post
I made my own fiber optics. Tapp plastics has fiber optic cable by the foot, cheap. Get the length that you need, carefully cut the sheath and separate the strands. Gather the required number and using heat shrink tube butt the ends of the strands to the LED. Very carefully shrink the tube. Route the strands, finish the circuit, and bam, a very inexpensive DIY fiber optic kit.
Yeah, kinjason cool. I'm happy to buy some premade kits.

This is the one I got of eBay, super happy with it on arrival, though I haven't actuall lit my model yet.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.25 MB
$11 kit, I can see why it wouldn't be worth the DIY if you can get them that inexpensively. I didn't need so many strands, and I wanted a three color LED.
Attached Thumbnails
Has Any One Ever... (Light and Damage)-img_2471.jpg   Has Any One Ever... (Light and Damage)-img_2474.jpg   Has Any One Ever... (Light and Damage)-img_2476.jpg   Has Any One Ever... (Light and Damage)-img_2478.jpg   Has Any One Ever... (Light and Damage)-img_2479.jpg  

Has Any One Ever... (Light and Damage)-img_2481.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason14 View Post
$11 kit, I can see why it wouldn't be worth the DIY if you can get them that inexpensively. I didn't need so many strands, and I wanted a three color LED.
Yeah I was totally happy with the price and quality of what I ordered.

Question for you -- how did you secure the fiber?

In other words, how did you keep those tiny strands in pace and flush with the paper?

I've already dreamed up some ways to do that for my models but they're probably overkill lol
Old 03-21-2015, 06:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
dtomasch, I'm happy that I've inspired you a little (I hope so, anyway!) But real matches? What a great idea! Jogged a memory of me as a child making Pirate Treasure Maps, and I would burn the edges with matches for an 'authentic' aged look. Parents today would be horrified hahaha :-D

Good luck with your wrecking endeavours (although, if I'm being posh, I think the proper model constructors' word is 'distressed'!) and I look forward to seeing what you turn out!

Plumdragon
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2015, 07:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.25 MB
I made the holes smaller then the fiber optic strands (Interference fit), then I ran the strands through and then trimmed them. With the above model there are two layers very close, that helped hold the strands in place.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 88.02 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bubble jet propulsion
guys..
thats an interesting subject,upon looking what jason king has done with the eyes,its freaking awesome.......!!!!!
i wonder if my my tumbler mobile can be light up with those fibers ?hmmmmmm............
Old 07-18-2015, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.10 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomasch View Post
Aweme reply Plumdrago. Thanks! Yeah, I've sort of realized that over the last couple days. I've seen some of the resin / plastic models that some of done damage too, which is super cool. So I realize that I'm going to have to plan some things out and most likely add some parts to my paper models for a super structure underneat the damaged bits, etc.

So that sounds like an exciting challange when I get to that.

And yes, I do think that paper lends itslf to the damage aspect if it. I can envision taking an actual physical match to parts of the model, maybe having a wet cloth near by and just singing parts of the model for AUTHENTIC damaage, lol.

IIRC, the edge-glow SFX on STTNG for practical-model ships that were recently damaged was actually smouldering paper-edges. (Not recommending you keep it constantly on fire :D)

It'd certainly give you nice blackening soot trail effects, and some interesting blast-hole damage. At the very least you could look at the way the burn-holes and soot work on the paper to try and replicate the look in other, less homelessness-creating ways.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
have a look at some of the hmv ship build threads on here.im sure the guy put lighting through his modern german navy support ship.cant recall modellers name but its on here somewhere
Old 07-18-2015, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
have a look at some of the hmv ship build threads on here.im sure the guy put lighting through his modern german navy support ship.cant recall modellers name but its on here somewhere
Is it Tomaso's EGV Berlin you're talking about, hrrky?