Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 10-16-2015, 03:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Mike,

I can write up a small tutorial tonight after I get home if you would like

Rick
I look forward to seeing this too Rick. In fact if you feel like writing a 397 page PDF on the subject, I for one would buy it. Heck, I'd even print it to paper.

I am currently (Slowly, a few pages a night) transposing the Gimp Instructional website ( GNU Image Manipulation Program ) into PDF format. 85 separate multi page pdf files so far, and I'm only just starting chapter 10. I haven't dared look to see how many more chapters there are to go ... in case my dedication wavers.

I've been playing with Pep Reader for years now (with the occasionally tentative peek at the free version of Designer) and I'm still finding new things to use it for. At my basic level, I couldn't honestly say what all the icons are for yet. As I recommended to Mike ... just play with it and find out for yourself.

It's a danged good program, and every paper modeller should get familiar with it. Especially those of us with a predilection towards Cartoon characters, Animal, and humanoid models. There's just too many of these available for free in the pdo format to not avail ourselves of them.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Yes! It's not clear that you can use the extra PDO texture files if you have just the reader. But if there's a way, any of us could expand a basic model into many versions.

Another nice feature of many Pepakura models are lined and unlined versions -- you build the unlined versions, but use the lined versions to score parts for folding. Unfortunately, it can be hard to see the fold lines for very dark parts. For a few such models, I've had to zoom in as much as 400% to figure out where the folds must go.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
What started the second part of this thread was a model I was interested in building from Glue2 - It was one of the Hieronymus Bosch figures - all but one were fine.

I wrote to them asking how I could combine the PDO and textures. I've just received a reply saying that they had combined the files and attached it to the email!

It would appear to support Yale's ideas that the reader won't work. If anyone wants a copy of the Tower Fish - let me know.

Cheers

Mike