PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 10-28-2015, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you so much Mr. Amit.
Just one more question. Spray varnishes are not easily available here, I was wondering if vehicle primer is an apt substitute. They come in white and grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a380 View Post
reading your thread brings back memories of myself in the late 70's early 80's making models back in india. the lack of resources pained me especially when I managed to get my hands on a used modeling book/magazine and see all the toys available to modelers in the west. luckily I had a couple of friends who in turn had family members who travelled overseas. I would give them a list of items to 'please, please bring back' on their return! I even sweetened the deal for my friends by offering to give back the finished models. I remember buying junked/partially built models from the 'india's hobby center' in Kolkata and rebuilding them. as for my own models I would 'design' my own ships. this was before the internet and I had no idea that such things as 'plans' existed or if they did, i had no way to get them in india. I used card stock called 'mountboard' and water colors called 'poster colors'. I don't know if acrylics were available at that time and certainly oils were beyond my reach. I got pretty creative with broomsticks, matchsticks, thread, wire and the insides of old vacuum tubes (yes they were still available back then) to make the fittings.

now I go to india once a year to visit my father and notice that the modeling universe seems to have gotten marginally better. the 'hobby center' is still there and they stock a few plastic kits but no tools, paint and such. you would be surprised though that I buy quite a few supplies elsewhere to bring back. since the dollar goes a long way in india, I buy artists oils, acrylics, pastels, brushes etc at a fraction of the cost here. I also buy tweezers, scalpel blades, injection needles, files and other tools.

sorry to ramble on about my modelbuilding. i am lucky to be able to indulge my hobby now but wanted you to know that i understand exactly what you are talking about. oh and to answer your question about directional marks using acrylics, perhaps try to lay the paint on a little thicker than you normally do? as for 'sealing' paper, definitely try a spray varnish. you can 'decant' the spray into a bottle and then use a brush to apply.

anyway, all the best with your hobby.

amit
Old 10-28-2015, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 106.24 MB
You are asking about automotive paint.

Well, in the pics below, I used cheap grey automotive primer from a rattle can. The first coat was 'misted' on, and then two consecutive coat were added, slightly heavier at each coat.
Once this had dried, I sprayed a coat of gloss black, also from a rattle can.
The paper was already sealed by the primer, so the black coat can be added heavier.
The gloss black was used as a good base coat for the chrome finish paint. (this chrome coat was from the manufacturer Alclad II.)

I am really pleased with the finish, and it shows what can be achieved using cheap paint from a rattle can .....
The most important is the misting of the first coat to seal the paper.

How to paint paper models-general_661.jpg

How to paint paper models-general_662.jpg
Old 10-28-2015, 09:12 AM

Man!! This is really cool.

So I will give automotive primer spray a go then.

Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBKing View Post
You are asking about automotive paint.

Well, in the pics below, I used cheap grey automotive primer from a rattle can. The first coat was 'misted' on, and then two consecutive coat were added, slightly heavier at each coat.
Once this had dried, I sprayed a coat of gloss black, also from a rattle can.
The paper was already sealed by the primer, so the black coat can be added heavier.
The gloss black was used as a good base coat for the chrome finish paint. (this chrome coat was from the manufacturer Alclad II.)

I am really pleased with the finish, and it shows what can be achieved using cheap paint from a rattle can .....
The most important is the misting of the first coat to seal the paper.

Attachment 263059

Attachment 263060
Old 10-29-2015, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 106.24 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaparth2006 View Post
Man!! This is really cool.

So I will give automotive primer spray a go then.

Thanks a lot
Just remember, dont be to heavy-fingered with the spray nozzle..... LIGHT, MISTED coats......Especially on the first coat...
Old 11-06-2015, 06:52 AM

Try not to work with normal printing paper. It's too thin and the ink soaks through which loses it's color and it's appeal. Also, you will need thick card in order to paint on. Thick card also makes the model feel and look sturdier.
Google Adsense
Old 12-10-2015, 05:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 372.56 MB
You can experiment using talcum powder mixed with paint. This technique is often used by plastic modelers to make a specific colour of varying textures. Obviously this would be not useful for spray painting and you would be best advised to mix only the quantity you will use in a session, along with recording the ratio of added talc for future reference. I have also heard of using various flour types but I suspect they may vary a lot in shrinkage, finish and durability (not to mention insect attack). Hope this is worthwhile for you.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 372.56 MB
Good post jhaparth2006 and a380! It is always worth reminding ourselves that this craft was borne from humble beginnings, necessity and imagination. If the cold war hadn't interrupted smooth trade between Eastern Bloc, Europe and US we might not have the superb offerings from GPM, Modelik, Kartovni etc. to consider. We would probably be locked into plastic modelling exclusively ... and that's not cheap, especially for those of us with limited incomes. I will gladly support products that make the model building process more effective and enjoyable. It is no contradiction that I believe we should also encourage and explore DIY and household solutions that achieve the same end.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:12 AM

Not really but what ever you make it its look nice.