PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 11-10-2015, 07:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 190.24 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcold View Post
If there is any interest, I can add texture replacement & saving of modified files into PDO tools.
I am interested. Some models are in *.pdo format that I like the shape, but would like to change the texture from "cartoony" to more realistic.

-Steve
Old 12-17-2020, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Pepakura textures

Hi
Can you tell me how to add more than one texture file
I tried everything but I can't find it out
Please answer
Old 12-18-2020, 01:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 401.65 MB
I'm not a Pepakura Viewer expert, but played with PDO files for a month and here's what I learned.

First, check what version of Pepakura Viewer your PDO file uses. Other forums suggest that 4.x versions are not necessarily backward-compatible with 3.x PDOs, so I have 2 versions with 3.x my default for PDOs. Only if I get a read error do I manually use version 4.x to open the file.

My example will refer to the M8 Greyhound 4.x file downloadable here: Gallery : Pepakura Designer

Second, if the original file has a locked texture you can't change it inside Pepakura. There's the option of going to "View" menu, deselecting "Use material for faces", going to the "Print" menu then print as PDF. You'll get a black and white wireframe model unfolded for 2D printout, which can be recolored (the hard way) in a graphics program.

Third, there's a lot of variation in the content of unlocked PDO files. The simplest have neither graphic textures nor texture map definitions, so they can't be changed inside Pepakura - use procedure above. The next type are files with 1 embedded texture but no other files bundled - other forums agree the embedded texture can't be extracted. The last type are files like RickStef described, which have multiple graphic subtextures, plus additional texture maps bundled with the PDO file.

For embedded single textures it's still possible to change the colors - create a (maximum) 1024x1024 pixel 1-color graphic file (in the same directory as the PDO) as JPG/GIF/PNG/etc then go to Settings/Texture Settings and select the graphic file, which replaces the default texture. This means you'll lose the panel lines, wheels and window details in the original texture. It's possible to use a checkerboard color pattern to figure out how the graphic file maps to the PDO model - it's hard as PDO modelers aren't consistent about how this mapping is done. Watch for PDOs with mirrored textures, like arms and legs of robots - often they'll reuse an arm or leg texture by flipping it for the matching part, so you may have backward text and numbers.

It's easiest to recolor PDOs using bundled JPG/GIF/PNG/etc texture files, any one should show how the PDO maps the texture inside the Pepakura display. I suggest tracing the panel line/window/wheel details from a bundled file then overlay those details over your chosen color (or camouflage texture) to get a new texture file with the same pixel dimensions. The Greyhound sample file has no bundled textures but 2 embedded subtextures for the hull and the wheels/turret which can use separate files. Unfortunately neither subtexture can be extracted so I don't know how they map, but I've tried a plain gray hull while keeping the wheel/turret texture, which works. For RickStef's example I guess you can mix and match different subtextures from different texture groups available. It may be possible to use texture maps from PDO models with similar size and shape, like other SD cars by Oniya. It's worthwhile to develop the texture file inside Pepakura before printing out as the final image quality is much better than recoloring the Pepakura output PDF.

Fourth, not all PDOs have glue tabs so add them yourself, it's also possible to emphasize edge lines by going to "Settings/Print Settings" and setting vector print and line thickness.

Last edited by lfuente; 12-18-2020 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 401.65 MB
I have to clarify what I said about the simplest PDO files - while they may not have an embedded texture (default white), you can actually use a single color block (or camouflage swatch) and use that as the texture in the printout.

What's not clear is whether these PDOs include definitions that map specific areas of the graphic texture to a corresponding area in the 3D model, or whether there is NO such mapping so the same or random graphic subareas are used everywhere on the 3D model (which seems more likely from what I've seen).