PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-08-2013, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Looking forward to seeing the "how to". That Ford Tri-motor looking closer.....
Old 04-09-2016, 09:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
I think this thread needed a bump....any news?......Rich
Old 04-10-2016, 07:26 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Diversions...,

Hello All,

I've been busy.

Slowly, I've been developing the idea of an aluminum covered model. This includes direct printing on the aluminum surface and decals for areas that require fully opaque color. It also requires a different approach to building the underlying support structure - it turns out to be very similar to the full size aircraft. All this plus learning the ins and outs of forming aluminum tooling foil.

Had I known how much invention was needed to do this project I probably wouldn't have ever begun - that's hindsight now. Hopefully I'll find a little time here and there to start the final phase of the project.

How about those low temperature alloys for casting high detail cylinder heads to add high resolution detail for the ultimate in realism...,(?)

-Gil
Old 04-11-2016, 01:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Hello All,

I've been busy.

Slowly, I've been developing the idea of an aluminum covered model. This includes direct printing on the aluminum surface and decals for areas that require fully opaque color. It also requires a different approach to building the underlying support structure - it turns out to be very similar to the full size aircraft. All this plus learning the ins and outs of forming aluminum tooling foil.

Had I known how much invention was needed to do this project I probably wouldn't have ever begun - that's hindsight now. Hopefully I'll find a little time here and there to start the final phase of the project.

How about those low temperature alloys for casting high detail cylinder heads to add high resolution detail for the ultimate in realism...,(?)

-Gil
Excellent!!

Better than the Metal Earth kits and made with Aluminum!

Can't to see what the film and metal looks like!

Are you able to polish the aluminum to a hi luster, before-hand?

Mike
Old 04-12-2016, 12:53 AM

Diversions (Cont.)....,

Hi Mike,

The aluminum can be prepped in a number of ways. Polishing it to a mirror finish followed by placing a sealer coat will diminish the mirror finish. Embossing with rivet tools and placing access panels is easily accomplished but requires careful attention to the order of execution - that's the tedious part.

Easiest way is to just leave the aluminum in a matte state followed by empaneling, rivet emboss, forming and final panel fit. The wings, horizontal and vertical stabs are all assembled in a similar manner before decoration and clear finish and effects tints. I also use an airbrush sand blaster to obtain a really interesting ageing effect.

Now that I think about it I should have just said, "It's complicated"...,

Best,

-Gil
Google Adsense
Old 10-01-2016, 02:23 AM

And then there's this...,

Looking into anodizing aluminum for another project I realized that anodizing provides the porous surface necessary to print directly on the surface. The following website demonstrates the process;

AlumaJet - Inkjet Printable Aluminum

-Gil

P.S. I'm looking into anodizing at home....,
Old 10-01-2016, 03:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 98.87 MB
Ive talked with a man who can get me some large sheets of this paper. its EXPENSIVE but can be cut into reams of what ever size I need. he also has something close to the red river silver paper too.
Attached Thumbnails
Natural Aluminum Finish-thumbnail_fullsizerender.jpg   Natural Aluminum Finish-thumbnail_fullsizerender-1-.jpg  
Old 10-01-2016, 05:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Expensive is relative. Have you checked out the prices of plastic model kits lately? Please keep us informed if you get any of this paper to work with, thepaperguy. Thanks for posting your find.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaperguy View Post
Ive talked with a man who can get me some large sheets of this paper. its EXPENSIVE but can be cut into reams of what ever size I need. he also has something close to the red river silver paper too.
By Large sheets, what sizes are available? Price? I'd be interested in knowing more....

Mike
Old 10-01-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Looking into anodizing aluminum for another project I realized that anodizing provides the porous surface necessary to print directly on the surface. The following website demonstrates the process;

AlumaJet - Inkjet Printable Aluminum

-Gil

P.S. I'm looking into anodizing at home....,
Oh Boy! Another way to spend money fast! Thinking I might order one of the sample packs to test. Says to use CYMK, my big printer does the RGBs, guessing it will work, but without the better results of the CYMK.

Too bad for the laser printers....

Will start a budget to purchase some.

Mike
Google Adsense