PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 02-23-2016, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
Laser cutting model frames

Hey ya'll!

I have been getting back into building again, and I was looking with some distaste at the amount of framing for some of my models, specifically Fly Model F-111 and Halinski Tornado GR1.

Does anyone know of or better yet tried a laser cutting service? Somewhere we could send our framing to get cut on 1mm or thicker card?
Google Adsense
Old 02-23-2016, 08:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
I know you said service, but this type is fairly interesting, and the price is good.

emblaser laser cutter

Thinking it might be nice to get one as well.

Technology is getting better and better.

Mike
Old 02-24-2016, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdr199212 View Post
Hey ya'll!

I have been getting back into building again, and I was looking with some distaste at the amount of framing for some of my models, specifically Fly Model F-111 and Halinski Tornado GR1.

Does anyone know of or better yet tried a laser cutting service? Somewhere we could send our framing to get cut on 1mm or thicker card?
Check around the laser engraving services in your area, it depends on how hungry they are, and what the store's hardware and software capabilities are, and their willingness to try something new. In my area I only found one guy who was willing to give it a try, but it would have cost more than ordering laser cut parts from Poland and there was still no guarantee he could get the size within specs. At other shops they were button pushers, and did not want to try cutting on their laser engraving machine, when they were set up to do push button pre programmed engraving.

There is also a work around that is affordable and simple. Make accurate 1:1 copies of the frame outlines and bond them to balsa or basswood sheet, or to very dense illustration board.
If you are a strict traditionalist, cut out the pieces with a jeweler's saw and a v block clamped to your work table. Spend a few more dollars and buy a professional quality saw from a jeweler supply house or a reputable tool dealer in order to get one with a well designed rigid frame, instead of the flimsy ones offered at hobby shops.
Or get a scroll saw, a fairly decent one from a big box hardware store, or a toss away tool from Harbor Freight. It will make frame cutting very quick and easy.
Either of these methods is faster than trying to use a knife to cut out the frames.

Tags
laser, frames, model, cutting