PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 03-04-2016, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
I had good luck using foam core. i printed sizing for both top and bottom of the foam core, cut the bigger size first (duh!). gluing to the side is problematic, I used gussets.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 81.41 MB
Hi
Tom , I can not expertly describe the process of building the hull (my English - tragic) see my thread, there are many pictures, may will help.
CSS George Page

Regards, Henryk
Old 04-13-2016, 05:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.04 MB
Hi to ALL,

My sincere apologies as to the lateness of my thanks, had a printer go down after 6 years of uses, an Epson Office B1100, very sad loss still, have now just got round to getting a new Brother A3 + printer and its rather nice, just playing with it to see what it can do etc etc etc, but, i am now up and running, so can copy any parts that i muff up in the constructing of whichever ship etc etc i build, belt and braces man that`s me , just in case so to speak.

I have a lot of core filled card around the house from many projects, so, will start with that idea as offered up to me and will inform as to where i get to, o yes, next month i go to see a consultant about my eyes, hope this is not going to be my Waterloo, keep yer fingers crossed mate!!!!..

All my very best and regards Tom.....
Old 04-13-2016, 07:16 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Most of the ship kits I have built (mostly 1/200 scale) call for 1mm card for the frames. The back of a writing pad is about 1mm. Cereal boxes are about half a millimeter, so if you double them by gluing two thicknesses together, you should have a pretty solid frame.

I buy large sheets (about 12"x20") of 1mm card from The Paper Model Store, but you can scrounge a lot of it with a little effort.

Gluing the deck onto the frames makes it even stronger.

Balsa tends to crack or split at the narrow parts. Plywood or plastic sheet would be too expensive and much stronger than you need.

I've never tried cutting cardboard on a jigsaw. I good sharp scissors works well for me on 1mm card.

Check out my thread Akitsushima Hull - 1/200 scale for the technique I use to skin a ship's hull. I've used it on several hulls from 8" to 54" long.

Last edited by Sakrison; 04-13-2016 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Adding a link

Tags
ships, material, cutting, hull, question, tom, dexterity, days, due, ways, problems, bulk, helpful, grateful, materials, advice, heads, keel, frame, work, simple, construction, prior, facing, problem