PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 04-24-2016, 01:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Minwax Wood Hardener Test

Bought a couple of cans of Minwax Wood Hardener, thinking it might be something to use on cardstock.

Yesterday was warm enough (54 deg F) to do the test out in my garage. Didn't want to breath the fumes as the stuff smells and looks like the liquid cement used to make plastic models from back in the 70's.
Minwax Wood Hardener Test-wood-hardener.jpg

Need a way to improve the strength of the internal PSI tube inside of my air launch-able rockets. The big ones weigh enough that just using cardstock for the PSI tube isn't enough. With the higher pressures need to launch their weight, the PSI tube goes Ca-Bluey...

The testing was done to check out a few things that follow:
1) Will a Aleenes Turbo Tacky glue joint still hold up?
2) How does it affect the cardstock?
3) Can you use Aleenes glue once the hardener has been applied?
4) How much weight does it add?
5) How hard does it make the paper/cardstock?
6) Does it affect printed inkjet ink on the parts?

Used a small metal handle brush (disposable/cheap) to apply it to a sample PSI section and a plain piece of 20lb Bond copier paper. It did glue the brush hairs together, just like lacquer or any paint/stain.

Applied 3-coats yesterday afternoon around 4pm. Coats were applied per the instructions: Keep adding coats while the other coats are still wet to ensure deep penetration. I did not cover the whole PSI tube, wanted to see the difference between treated and non-treated areas.

Brought it inside today after letting it sit in the garage last night (cooled down to 37 deg F).

Initial look finds that the application on the PSI tube is favorable.

1) Aleenes held up nicely, the double layer of cardstock at the glue joint looks great, photo shows the internal end view. You can clearly see how it soaked in, except the one spot where it didn't make it through the bottom layer. Rest of glue joint is saturated all the way to the top. Did not apply as much to the end to see what would happen.
Minwax Wood Hardener Test-2-internal-coverage-glue-joint.jpg

2) Gave the cardstock and paper a shiny transparent look.
Minwax Wood Hardener Test-1-shiny.jpg
Minwax Wood Hardener Test-3-plain-paper-test.jpg

3) Closeup of the Bond paper to show how it bonded the paper fibers. Note you can see the text through the paper as well.
Minwax Wood Hardener Test-4-plain-paper-closeup.jpg

4) Forgot to weigh the PSI tube before applying, so will need to test the weight gain in the future.

5) Where the cardstock is saturated, it is harder than the non-applied areas. The closeup of the paper also shows how the paper edge appears to be bonded between fibers.

6) When applying to the paper, checked out the backside and could clearly see that the first coat went completely through, little beads of hardener could be seen. After a second coat the beads formed a new layer that covered the applied area completely.

7) Cardstock and paper are both stiffer/harder than the non-applied areas.

8) Did not affect the ink at all.

9) Added benefit, seems to act like a glue. Touched the brush to a finger and then pressed to another finger, it did stick the fingers together.

10) Acetone can be used for cleanup.

11) HEALTH WARNING: Only use with good ventilation. Will buy a 1/2 face respirator and OV (organic vapor) filter when I use it next! Warning on back says not to inhale-death can result.

12) Did not test to see if Aleenes will stick to it yet. If I can will try a test today, if can get the time to do so.

All in all very happy with the test results so far! Clearly it bonded the paper fibers together, paper is still flexible, but can tell that it is a little stiffer than the non-coated area. Doesn't appear to be much weight gain.

Looks like I will have to build another 10ft Tall 1/32 scale Saturn V Rocket to test a heavy rocket launch!

BTW-Bought my hardener at Home Depot in the paint stain area. Think I paid around $11 that includes tax for two cans.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 04-24-2016, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 604.68 MB
Looks promising.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Hey, alright! Glad the test is successful.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:13 PM

Curious about waterproofing effect: Yes, it waterproofs the paper. Just took the sample bond paper and held the coated section under running tap water, didn't affect the area at all!

Probably work for coating boat hulls that can be floated in water!

Mike
Old 04-24-2016, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Mike:
As I was Reading your test the thought of how waterproof is it came to mind There are several boat hulls to make in paper then put a cheap motor and prop on to tr. I was not happy with 5min epoxy on test hull. you might have found something very useful
Miles
Google Adsense
Old 04-24-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear Mike:
As I was Reading your test the thought of how waterproof is it came to mind There are several boat hulls to make in paper then put a cheap motor and prop on to tr. I was not happy with 5min epoxy on test hull. you might have found something very useful
Miles
Yes, Miles I do believe it will work very well for this purpose. I did a quick test under running tap water, water beaded up and did not penetrate the paper at all!

An added bonus is it can be applied after the model is built, does not change the ink at all!

Not sure if you can coat the paper and then print, or coat the printed paper before construction though. It will work after the model is built for sure. Glue testing will happen after I get my car maintenance done today.

This stuff is for the rotten wood on window sills that have gotten wet and then rotted away. That is why I bought two cans, one to fix the weathered window sills outside my home and to use on paper models.

Mike
Old 04-24-2016, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
tried this product couple of years ago when i was first exploring ways to harden paper. my results were not very satisfying. while it made the paper seem more dense, it also gave it a rubbery texture; not conductive to sanding and grinding. perhaps i made some mistake with the application. i settled on thin ca which, while not easy to work with, gives me the texture i need. curious to know if you are able to file and sand with your treated paper? i might give it another shot
Old 04-24-2016, 05:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
This stuff is for the rotten wood on window sills that have gotten wet and then rotted away.
What, you mean it wasn't invented solely and expressly for model rocket nose cones?
Cool about the waterproofing qualities, maybe now I can make a successful rubber band powered submarine out of cardboard as well as the balsa ones.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Cool about the waterproofing qualities, maybe now I can make a successful rubber band powered submarine out of cardboard as well as the balsa ones.
This sounds like a fun project! Rubber powered to boot.

Mike
Old 04-24-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a380 View Post
tried this product couple of years ago when i was first exploring ways to harden paper. my results were not very satisfying. while it made the paper seem more dense, it also gave it a rubbery texture; not conductive to sanding and grinding. perhaps i made some mistake with the application. i settled on thin ca which, while not easy to work with, gives me the texture i need. curious to know if you are able to file and sand with your treated paper? i might give it another shot
I've never sanded or filed any paper projects. Interesting technique to use.

Guess I'll have to experiment and see if it works.

Mike
Google Adsense