PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 05-01-2016, 05:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
First time builder - Need some basics

"Do I cut on the black line or outside it ?" As a first time builder I'm going to have a lot of simple questions. Is there some article or such that would help me ?
Google Adsense
Old 05-01-2016, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
This has been bandied about a bunch, but I personally cut on the line, or in other words try to split it. When I do repaints I don't even put a line on unless it is necessary to see the shape I am cutting, they are after all just references and cutting outside them would leave a line on the model that isn't there on the real thing.

Beard
Old 05-01-2016, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
In the Download section there are some tutorials on how to make paper model parts and things. This is a little page with some tips http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/v...downloadid=773
and some basics. These aren't hard fast rules but will give you a place to start, then you can develop you own methods after you get comfortable. Like, they use a syringe to apply glue, I usually use a sharpened skewer stick (longer and easier to handle and you can spread the glue smoothly) other guys use tooth picks.

Beard
Old 05-01-2016, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
I usually cut on the line. However, there are cases where I'm forced to cut outside the line. Some models have pieces that are entirely black. (ex. black nose cone, wheels, etc.)
For pieces like those, I've no choice but to cut outside the line.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 209.22 MB
Hello Hank McCoy,

the only right answer is, it depends:

a) the publisher
b) kind of construction
c) who made the construction
d) your favorite kind of building

In a normal case if you buy a kit you don't how the factors a) to d) work together. In some cases the assembly instructions gives you a hint how to manage it, but often not.

For a beginner cut all parts outside the line, if the frame or hull part is too big, you can correct it through some cuts. After some parts you see how it works and you can be more courages and cut for example the frame parts on the lines.

It is a very simple rule for correcting parts: it is easier to cut too big parts smaller as to make too small parts bigger (there exist techniques (which often has a ugly result), but not for a beginner).

Greetings peaceglue