PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 06-22-2016, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Like Sakrison, I also highly recommend Aleen's. I have several types.

For general construction, I use Aleen's Turbo. Sets very quickly, but you still have enough time to adjust parts.

To reinforce joints, I apply liberal amounts of Aleen's Quick Dry with a Q-Tip. Does as its name implies and holds joints together well.

I also have a tube of regular ol' Mk. I Aleen's, but I don't think I've even opened it. Probably also works for general construction.

Les (The Voice of Authority -- VoiceofAuthority.net - The Voice Stylings of Les Dorr, Jr.)
Old 06-22-2016, 06:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Aleene's tacky glue thinly spread with a tapered and sharpened bamboo barbecue skewer is my preferred method.

One of the advantages of tacky glue over Elmer's is that it doesn't evaporate as fast. You can also use it very effectively when you're assembling parts without glue tabs. i.e. butt joints on the face of the model. I like to use it more like caulk on those joints and allow it to cure, which is often very fast compared to Elmer's. (The less glue the better on face side joinery, especially if you used an inkjet printer. Inkjet toners aren't terribly colorfast around even the tiniest bits of moisture.)

Don't get me wrong, I use Elmer's Glue-All plenty of times. It's my go to for large surface lamination where you're doubling parts or front and back or whatever. For that I spread Elmer's in a swirling motion with a plastic bristle brush to get a thin, even coat, I get the parts together quickly and press them under some books.

BTW, you can counter some warpage issues by manipulating the parts with your fingers after you spread the glue.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 47.78 MB
I like Elmer's Craft Bond Paper Craft Glue Gel. It dries clear and relatively quickly -- the thinner it's applied, the better. It's sold at craft stores, like AC More and Michaels (also Amazon.)

I also use Diane 1.75" single prong clips, which are flat, and are excellent for holding small parts together until they dry. These are also available from Amazon.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
When I use Elmer's white glue (and I use it a lot), I can also say that the less, the better. But this only works on small edges/tabs. I have also discovered that when you apply the small amount of glue (experience will be the BEST teacher of how much is too little or too much), if you touch the surfaces that you intend to join together (don't have to clamp) then quickly pull them apart for the briefest amount of time THEN IMMEDIATELY join them together, then the parts seem to tack together quite nicely. You would then press or clamp for the best bonding. To me it seems as though it works sort of like contact cement that you smear on both surfaces (but in this case you let it dry) and then join the surfaces.

Best Regards,
Old 06-24-2016, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
elmers "glue-all"??? is that the stick? you should be using pva glue, that's plain old elmers white glue that has been the staple of schools and arts and crafts for about 1000 years. Alieen's tacky is just a thicker version of the same, and I prefer, but good old elmer's white is just fine. If it is not sticking, there is only one reason: you are using too much. apply the glue with a toothpick, or opened paper clip, is should be spread no thicker than the amount of saliva you would use to lick a stamp. pinch and hold for 10 seconds with your fingers and it will be dry.
Google Adsense
Old 06-24-2016, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Elmer's 'Glue-All' is still PVA glue. Not as runny as 'School Glue', but not as thick as 'Elmer's Craftbond Tacky Glue'
Old 06-24-2016, 06:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Elmer's 'Glue-All' is still PVA glue. Not as runny as 'School Glue', but not as thick as 'Elmer's Craftbond Tacky Glue'
well then if its not working the user is using too much glue.