PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 06-23-2016, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 68.1 KB
beginner question #2

How do you glue tabs that you can't reach? For example, attaching a building to a base. the building is enclosed so there is no access to press the tabs down while the glue dries.
Google Adsense
Old 06-23-2016, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I usually put the roof on last. That way you can use a dowel or capped pen to push down the tabs. If the roof is on it, I would cut a hole in the base so that you can reach in with your fingers and press the tabs down
Old 06-23-2016, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 68.1 KB
I can see holes in the base. Thanks for that tip. If you put the roof on last, I guess you still need the holes in the base to reach the roof tabs... right?
Old 06-23-2016, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
yes, that helps, depending on how the roof is designed.

I usually over-study models before I build, just so I can try to anticipate problem areas. And then the problem will usually pop up in an area that I didn't expect. But the exercise of studying the model first usually equips me to deal with the issues.

I don't remember what the model was that had the cut-out in the base that I encountered first, but I remember thinking that it was sheer genius. Many models are set up this way, and it is something I do with other models that I expect to have problems with reaching in to glue tabs
Old 06-23-2016, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear RonV:
You will have to start thinking in 3d before cutting and like chess think several steps ahead. I still bless a old drafting teacher in High School for teaching 3 views and then the isometric drawing. Start looking at things in real life and think about how you would lay it out in 2d to make a model if you like architecture work with your own house, remember there will be several ways to connect the parts some will be better than others.
Good luck and ask questions,
Miles
Google Adsense
Old 06-23-2016, 05:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear RonV:
You will have to start thinking in 3d before cutting and like chess think several steps ahead. I still bless a old drafting teacher in High School for teaching 3 views and then the isometric drawing. Start looking at things in real life and think about how you would lay it out in 2d to make a model if you like architecture work with your own house, remember there will be several ways to connect the parts some will be better than others.
Good luck and ask questions,
Miles
Be careful with looking at things and trying to figure out how to turn them into paper models. It gets very addicting. I can't even look at anything anymore without mentally breaking it down into cylinders, boxes and cones...
Old 06-25-2016, 10:52 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Miles's comment is correct - you need to figure out the BEST WAY to do the assembly that will both fit your skills, the tools you have, the glue you are using etc.

But having said that it is not complicated or a big deal - just common sense.

"Dry fitting" parts BEFORE gluing is a must!

I currently am building a watermill and in this thread I am also trying to illustrate some of the methods, tools and the thought process I use. Have a look - there may be something that may help you.

Skip the all the watermill stuff obviously if it does not interest you, and just go to the assembly bits.....

Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!