PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-22-2016, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
To WW fold or sandwich cardstock

So, a while ago I designed some freight models for railroads and I included several models of pallets in various configurations. In my naivety I designed the model in such a way that the stringers were intended to be scored and reverse-scored (alternating red and blue arrows) so that the builder would create a WW pattern before gluing into a solid piece about 2mm thick. Attached are pictures of the model in 1:48 or O-scale pallet.

As I build more, I'm finding that I could just provided the outside pieces and told the builder to "Sandwich Part 1 and 2 between 2mm of card stock." That is, a lot less work, would afford me a lot more space per page for more pallet models ... but maybe not everyone has cereal boxes or stock supplies sufficient.

Which would you modelers and designers prefer? Should I provide the WW foldable part, or instructions to sandwich? Or should I assume modelers are smarter than me, see a complicated part and realize, "Oh, duh, I see what he's doing there. I'll make this easier for me, cause I can."
Attached Thumbnails
To WW fold or sandwich cardstock-pallet-page-screenshot.png   To WW fold or sandwich cardstock-img_2645.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
JSC uses a similar technic of printing the needed layers so extra cardboard is not needed (most of the time). The only time They have called out extra cardboard for lamination is for larger pieces where printing extra layers was not practical.

I understand the desire to cut down on wasted space though and could see butting all the pallet boards up against each other and call out a card size to laminate then too.

Or you could do a hybrid of these like many of the polish publishers do and print two sets mirror imaged to each other with a line in between with a laminating thickness marked at the line. Not sure if this makes sense with out a picture, but I have none at my desk right now to use as a reference.

greg
Old 08-22-2016, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Its called an "accordian" fold.

And, if its small scale stuff (the part fits within a single page), then this is the perfect method.
No need to laminate other materials.
Only one part to cut out.
Scoring is easy.
Folding is easy.
Gluing the layers is easy.

Just requires a little edge colouring.

A great way to make the wooden support beams for the pallet.
I say leave it alone.