PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 09-08-2016, 11:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Glue Applicators

After reading how to use a brush properly to apply glue, got to thinking about what other types of applicators are out there.

My favorite applicator is the Monoject 412 dental irrigation syringe; A one piece shell and nozzle, designed to remove the plunger to refill the chamber.
Glue Applicators-s-l400.jpg

Glue Applicators-monoject-412.png

It has a curved straw for the nozzle which allows easy viewing to control where the glue is going and how much you're applying.

Just bought a box of 25 for $14.49 which includes shipping. The original one I have is over four years old. At 59 1/3 years old, pretty sure there will be some left when I'm gone.

Since I build big models, the brush method just doesn't work, by the time I've finished applying glue to the length of a rolled cylinder (tube) the first glue applied has dried, and needs recoated before applying pressure. Brushes probably work ok for smaller models.

Did a search to see what is out there, here are a few links of what was found:
Search Results - Micro-Mark
1) Can't recommend the bellows applicators, I bought the 1-ounce size years ago and the metal straw opening is way to large, flows too much unless very, very careful, end result was many small fingerprints left on the model
2) Interesting that they have some very small glue brushes.
3) They even have a toothpick stand and a small plastic cup to reload the toothpick.

https://www.widgetsupply.com/mm5/mer...vc?Screen=SRCH
Not many choices here-a different kind of brush and some cotton swabs.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/35648315?...&wl13=&veh=sem Walmart version of a bottle I used to use. Notice they have different straw sizes-can also find this style of bottle in the fishing department, look for Fly Tying supplies.

Too small of a metal straw and the glue won't flow, someone mentioned that a 18ga tube works well.

The Touch-N-Flow, Applicators & Adhesives Looks like they have CA applicators here plus different size straws on a glue bottle.

Glue Tips / Glue Applicators Wow these guys have some interesting applicators for CA glues-also have my favorite Monoject 412 on sale at $1.99 each-eBay has them for $14.49 for a box of 25 or $0.58 each (includes shipping).

Do you have a link for something you found useful?

Or what do you use that isn't store bought?

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 09-09-2016, 11:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
I use those little medicine dropper syringes they give away free at the pharmacy to dose meds out for little kids... They will hold several cc's of glue (they're marked on the side up to 5 or 10 cc's) and the Testor's "glue tips" that are made to fit the metallic neck of the Testor's "model airplane glue" fit PERFECTLY on the end of the syringe tip, for instant "pinpoint" glue application. I even roll a cap for them out of paper (little tiny snug-fitting cone) and cap them off between uses.

Works great! OL J R
Old 09-10-2016, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.06 GB
I usually apply glue sraight onto the tab then use a toothpick to spread it in a thin layer across.

EDIT: just realized that I got that same syringe after my recent wisdom teeth surgery to clean out my sockets. Maybe I'll try it out on one of my builds...

-C-2A Greyhound
-Br.1050 Alize
Old 09-10-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperengineer View Post
I usually apply glue sraight onto the tab then use a toothpick to spread it in a thin layer across.

EDIT: just realized that I got that same syringe after my recent wisdom teeth surgery to clean out my sockets. Maybe I'll try it out on one of my builds...
That is how I got mine. Let me know what you think after trying it!

Mike
Old 09-11-2016, 03:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
i mainly use thin ca and make my own applicators by grinding off the eye end of a sewing needle. the resulting fork picks up just enough glue and flows very easily onto the part.
Google Adsense
Old 09-11-2016, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 814.53 MB
Hi;

Being a card builder who is an old curmudgeon who dislikes anything hi-tech or costs money, I have used the teriyaki skewer as an applicator for decades. They are light, strong and can have considerable length. They have several advantages. First, you can get a ton of them for a buck, or less. Second, they can be used to accurately deliver just about any adhesive to difficult locations, without mess. Thirdly, they can be whittled to a very fine point to control the amount of adhesive, or used at a shallow angle to cover fairly large surfaces.

Regards, rjccjr
Old 09-11-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjccjr View Post
Hi;

Being a card builder who is an old curmudgeon who dislikes anything hi-tech or costs money, I have used the teriyaki skewer as an applicator for decades. They are light, strong and can have considerable length. They have several advantages. First, you can get a ton of them for a buck, or less. Second, they can be used to accurately deliver just about any adhesive to difficult locations, without mess. Thirdly, they can be whittled to a very fine point to control the amount of adhesive, or used at a shallow angle to cover fairly large surfaces.

Regards, rjccjr
I've done this in the past as well. Still works great when needing to reach up inside a large rocket to glue bulkhead formers.

When shopping and seeing different bags of these, always buy more for some reason, guess it is like stock piling cardstock and cereal boxes.

They also work great for applying pressure inside tubes when you can't get your hand inside, the bamboo skewers don't break as easy as wood dowel.

Another item been buying recently is paper popsicle sticks in the candy cooking department at big box stores. Not for gluing; but for use when needing long or short paper tubes that are small in diameter.

Mike
Old 09-11-2016, 01:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I use these plastic toothpicks 99.9% of the time.
Glue Applicators-plastic-toothpick.jpg
A small dab of glue is put on a scrap piece of plastic or card then the toothpick is dipped in it and the glue is applied to where it is needed.

To spread glue on large area a line of glue is applied then a scrap piece of card is used as a spreader (or sometimes my finger).

A long skewer is occasionally used as mentioned before.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
unrolled paper clip is my goto.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
My favorite glue applicator is a bamboo skewer with a portion of a cat's whisker mounted in the end, see photo. I work in the smaller scales, like 1/100 aircraft and 1/400 ships, and I prefer white glue. I don't remember how or when i got this idea.
We have always had cats, and always finding their discarded whiskers in the carpets throughout the house. I get teased a lot about removing them from the cat, which is something I would NEVER do. We used to just throw the whiskers away, then one day I got this idea.
They are strong, yet flexible, dried glue doesn't stick to them and I can get just right amount of glue, where I want it. I used to use toothpicks, I still do, but not for applying glue.These applicators are easy to make,
Cut a piece of bamboo to the desired length for a handle. Drill a small hole in one end and insert the whisker. A drop of super glue will hold it in place. Cut the whisker to the desired length. Ive been laughed at for this idea, but we use brushes made with hair from animals. How is this so different?

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Glue Applicators-img_0977.jpg